Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chasidish(ish) Community in Texas

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:02 pm
Wondering if anyone would be able to tell me about a chasidish (or kind of chasidish) community anywhere in Texas?...

Any comments will be appreciated!...

(Or, if there are other chasidish people considering moving there, I'd love to hear from you as well Smile )

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:42 pm
The thought of wearing a shtreimel and bekeshe in that stifling summer heat is frightening.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:49 pm
doctorima wrote:
The thought of wearing a shtreimel and bekeshe in that stifling summer heat is frightening.

Not helpful...

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:05 pm
Other than chabad, I have never heard of a chassidish community anywhere in Texas.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:06 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Other than chabad, I have never heard of a chassidish community anywhere in Texas.

That sucks... I so want to move there...

What about the Chabad communities? Would you have any info on that?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
That sucks... I so want to move there...

What about the Chabad communities? Would you have any info on that?

Look up on their website.
There's also a yeshivish kollel community (but it's Kiruv oriented) in Dallas, as well as a chofetz chaim / just plain frum.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:09 pm
The community is warm (literally) and accepting so If you are ok with being one of the only chassidish families there, go ahead!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:53 pm
doctorima wrote:

We lived in Dallas for 2 years and my husband wore his streimal and bekisha every shabbos. He was not comfortable per say but he wasnt suffering.

Anon because I can only think of one other person in Dallas who wore a streilal/bekisha and I dont want to out myself or cause other people to think that I am his wife.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:56 pm
amother wrote:
We lived in Dallas for 2 years and my husband wore his streimal and bekisha every shabbos. He was not comfortable per say but he wasnt suffering.

Anon because I can only think of one other person in Dallas who wore a streilal/bekisha and I dont want to out myself or cause other people to think that I am his wife.

Thank you for responding!... My husband is also quite worried about this part. What was uncomfortable about shtreimal - the acceptance of it or just plain the heat? Also, was your husband able to bond with some other guys there, make friends etc., or was the crowd really not at all chasidish-welcoming at all?

Also, if you don't mind elaborating a bit on the experience of living there I would really appreciate it... (community, school/cheder, work opportunities, safety of neighborhood, etc.)

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 11:11 pm
including alaska - texas is the second biggest state in the usa, that means there are many cities & probably size enough to contain 6 other states

that being said, you can always start a chassidish area, all you need is a minyan to move with you or borrow a couple of the locals - ask any lubavitch shaliach - it can be done

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 5:45 am
It's a dry heat.
I live in Israel, it gets really hot here and all the chassidim here seem to manage fine. A month or so straight where the mercury does not go under 90 happens n the summer.

Texas is a big place. I'd be more worried about the chalov Yisroel milk spoiling.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:26 am
Why in heavens name do you want to live in Texas?

Probably the largest Chabad community in Texas is in Houston. I for one have a very hard time with wig/stockings in this weather. I I do it, but it's difficult.

It's not a dry heat. It's very sticky and humid.

People in general are friendly though.

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 8:27 pm
Texas is a big state and has many different areas. And cities. Dallas, houston and Austin are 3 that have frum communities that I know of and they are all hours apart from each other.
Does it make a difference where in texas you want to go?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating