Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Does this sound like SPD?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 2:40 pm
I don't know much about this diagnosis but I've seen people mention it and speak about it here.

My ds is about to be 5. He is an intense child. Very clingy to me, always has been, and kind of rejects others in the house, not always but often, older brothers, sisters, grandmother.... He is very jealous of his older sister (9) who happens to be an "easy" get along sort of kid, and even though she tries, he won't really play with her, often kind of targeting her, hitting her, or just saying mean stuff (I mean for a 4 year old.... You're yucky, etc) .

Here are some of the behaviors that made me think of this SPD. At times he just cannot stop "hitting". I put it in quotes because usually it's more like little kind of repeated hard thumping on me, as he's passing me by, when he wants something, when he's frustrated, etc. Nothing I do or say seems to make him able to not do that. Sometimes it really is hitting, like angry, and sometimes it's just kind of repeatedly banging on me if he is frustrated, or upset about something.

As I'm writing this I feel like it is sounding like aspergers, but it is not that. He is extremely related and emotionally in touch, both with his own and others emotions, excellent eye contact, super communicative.

Other concerns are a low tolerance for frustration, at which time he'll hit like I described or say angry things, it's very hard for him to hear "no", he's almost insulted, and will often cry in an insulted way.

He climbs all over me, like always, and cannot tolerate my attention being turned toward anyone else. At these times he'll often just yell or make noise so that the other person's voice is drowned out and he is still the center of attention. When he does this he knows he is doing something wrong. He is the youngest. I pay ALOT of attention to him, truly. But he cannot stand sharing it ever.

He can also be sweet and loving and delicious. Sometimes I feel like that'll last for weeks and then we'll get into a bad phase again, also lasting for a few weeks. I even asked the doctor about PANDAS, but who knows, that's hard to diagnose definitively, although his blood work did show a recent strep infection which we are treating with antibiotics.

Does anyone have any advice or insight? Therapy? If so, what kind? Parenting classes? Books? I'll take anything!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 2:48 pm
Definitely push for a PANDAS evaluation.

He also seems sensory seeking, and has expressive language issues. (Just my opinion.) It's worth getting him evaluated. A licensed therapist can give you ideas of how to meet his sensory needs, and can help him learn how to use his words better.

For what it's worth, age 4 was the WORST for my DD. It made the "terrible twos" look like a walk in the park. Actually, she was a yummy, delightful baby up until 4, and then I thought that someone had replaced her with a gremlin! Twisted Evil

B'H, by 5 she had gotten much better. Something about the structure of kindergarten really clicked for her. By second grade she finally got a proper evaluation, got some therapy, and is now on par with her peers. That little bit of intervention, even though it was late, made a lot of difference for her.

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 2:49 pm
Based on the things that you wrote here it doesn't necessarily sound like SPD but I'm not an expert. Read The Out of Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz to get a better idea though. It's a great book.

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 2:52 pm
Ask the pediatrician for a referral to a developmental pediatrician, or maybe a neuropsychology eval.

Expect a wait of many months.

But, iy"H, at the end of a very thorough process, you'll have a much better idea about what is going on.

In the meantime, reading up on SPD and sensory diet wouldn't hurt.

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 3:08 pm
imasinger wrote:
Ask the pediatrician for a referral to a developmental pediatrician, or maybe a neuropsychology eval.

Expect a wait of many months.

But, iy"H, at the end of a very thorough process, you'll have a much better idea about what is going on.

In the meantime, reading up on SPD and sensory diet wouldn't hurt.

What is the difference between a developmental pediatrician and a neuropsychologist? What do each specialize in

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 3:19 pm
I am an OT. This does not sound like sensory processing disorder. It could be emotional regulation and/or behavior.

The only sensory seeking behaviors you mention are hitting and climbing - but for both you said he does it on you... you didn't say he climbs/jumps on all the furniture... that he is hitting or pushing on other things.

I would talk to your pediatrician about a referral elsewhere. And keep looking into PANDAS too.

Calming sensory strategies aren't a bad thing to you, but if the underlying need is emotional or behavioral, they won't help all that much.

For now, make sure to make positive contact with him in some fashion about every 10 minutes.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
I am an OT. This does not sound like sensory processing disorder. It could be emotional regulation and/or behavior.

The only sensory seeking behaviors you mention are hitting and climbing - but for both you said he does it on you... you didn't say he climbs/jumps on all the furniture... that he is hitting or pushing on other things.

I would talk to your pediatrician about a referral elsewhere. And keep looking into PANDAS too.

Calming sensory strategies aren't a bad thing to you, but if the underlying need is emotional or behavioral, they won't help all that much.

For now, make sure to make positive contact with him in some fashion about every 10 minutes.

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I will definitely follow through on the PANDAS although as far as I understand that means continuing an antibiotics regimen for now.

I'm going to get a hold of the book b'ah that was recommended (out of sync child) .... Thanks, I've actually heard of it and the title sounds like it might be a good fit.

I will see how things go with the antibiotics and follow up with the pediatrician about further referrals.

Thanks amother (OT) for your reactions and advice. Yes, it's true that I don't really see sensory seeking behavior in other ways. It's that combination allows of emotional sensitivity and physicality with me (climbing, grabbing, etc) that made me wonder about it. If it is emotional regulation as you mentioned, what/who do I follow through with regarding assessment of that?

Is that a child psychologist? And if so, can anyone recommend a great one in Brooklyn? I think that may be a wise choice for us either way.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 5:25 pm
Yes, a child psychologist would be a good next step.

The Out of Sync Child is a great book, but I still don't think it applies to your son.
But it has good info in it regardless. But if his behavior is pretty much like this around you and your daughter and not in school or anyone else, I doubt it is sensory.

I know this is hard and that you give him a lot of attention already. Daven for your son and yourself over the yomim noraim and try to find somewhere to take him... I'm in the midwest, so I can't tell you where to go in Brooklyn -sorry!

Hugs!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 5:32 pm
Hi. Just wanted to share with you that I slightly disagree with Lime. I am a psychologist and have worked with children that you've described. In fact, I have recently begun referring my clients to OTs more often because a lot of these behaviors stem from difficulty with SPD. Regulation issues in young children earlier than 7-8 (I have learned and experience through my clients over 15 years) DO have a significant connection to SPD difficulties. I would inquire from an OT to look at your child physically and see if there is an SPD issue as well.

You can work with them through CBT and cognitive approaches as a supplemental way; but at 5, if there is a sensory issue, why not address it through OT first?

Good luck.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
Hi. Just wanted to share with you that I slightly disagree with Lime. I am a psychologist and have worked with children that you've described. In fact, I have recently begun referring my clients to OTs more often because a lot of these behaviors stem from difficulty with SPD. Regulation issues in young children earlier than 7-8 (I have learned and experience through my clients over 15 years) DO have a significant connection to SPD difficulties. I would inquire from an OT to look at your child physically and see if there is an SPD issue as well.

You can work with them through CBT and cognitive approaches as a supplemental way; but at 5, if there is a sensory issue, why not address it through OT first?

Good luck.

Thank you so much. I will follow through on that. Are there any other books you might know of that might be helpful?

He's can be intense with other kids at times. In the sense of feeling hurt or insulted. But usually he plays nicely and gets along. It's sort of unpredictable.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:51 pm
I am also an OT and I agree with the previous OT (was it lime)? Of course we obviously can't diagnose your son over the internet so it wouldn't hurt to take him to a real live OT to get an opinion. First try to get an evaluation through the school, and I would also go to a neuropsychologist. A developmental pediatrician is for issues in development, and that doesn't sound like he's not developing correctly. It's more of a behavioral/expressive/emotional/possibly sensory thing.
If you have a good relationship with your pediatrician have a talk with him/her and get a recommendation for psychologist/neurospsychologist.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 7:08 pm
If you want to check out the OT side to be thorough, see if you can get an OT to work with him on the Zones of Regulation Program. As Wheat and I said, it sounds like there are other things going on. But the Zones program is great for all kids, and even if they don't particularly have SPD (kal vichomer if they do). I could be good for him.

But I would still recommend a psychologist.

Much Hatzlacha!

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 8:42 pm
Thank you so much to all for your time and concern! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)