Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Baby Registries. To do or not?

amother

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 2:26 pm
I'm expecting a baby soon and was wondering how you would feel if you received andemail birth announcement that included a short note and link to a baby registry? We got married out of the country and were away for a year. We received no wedding presents so I feel like this is not too pushy...

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 2:30 pm
No wedding presents?? DO IT!!! Smile

shayna82

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
I'm expecting a baby soon and was wondering how you would feel if you received andemail birth announcement that included a short note and link to a baby registry? We got married out of the country and were away for a year. We received no wedding presents so I feel like this is not too pushy...

I think its sweet, and I would appreciate knowing what the couple wanted instead of getting some unwanted thing tht will just be returned... why should they hassle with returns... lovely idea

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 7:16 pm
I hardly got any wedding presents but didn't expect baby gifts....course if you think ppl will give, you should get what you want . . .

after birth, I remember being housebound, not feeling well,and if ppl sent me checks - not that I got so many of them, either - iw ans't happy - the baby needed "things" !!!

how are you presenting the link, are you having a shower?

amother

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 7:26 pm
Thanks for your input! I do have alot of friends and family, many of whom I keep in touch with mainly online. I wont be having a shower... When my friends give birth its usually so hard for me to find something to buy them! How should I know what "gap" outfits they already received, maybe they already got tons of onesies and could really use say a diaper genie instead! Maybe they didnt get anything at all cuz they live out of town, and you know out of sight out of mind.

I dont want to be a chazer c'v but I really dont want to hear "oh, I meant to get you something, wasnt sure what etc." We could use whatever we'd get so I figure if I added a line or two at the end of the email like "Baby **** favorite things are registered here..." Id have nothing to lose!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 7:29 pm
I think that's fine. don't get stuck, like me.

bashaah toivah and bring us good news!

PinkandYellow

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 2:49 pm
go for it, just make sure you pick stores that are convenient for ppl to get to and you know they will shop at, with a whole range of prices (so ppl can spend what they want).

chen

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:42 pm
mentioning the registry on a birth announcement is tantamount to saying "I sent you this birth announcement al menas that you should send me a gift." tacky, tacky, tacky. Miss Manners is practically prostrate with horror at the very thought. The announcement is meant to be nothing more than a way to get the word out and share the joy.

Nothing wrong with signing up for the registry, plenty wrong with putting it on the announcement. Once ppl get the announcement, call you to wish you mazal tov and ask you "what can we get you?" --or if they ask your mother/sister/mil/etc,-- then you or they can mention the registry.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 2:48 am
I agree with Chen. I don't like the idea at all and would think it was a joke if one of my acquaintances/friends sent me an announcement with a link to a registry. People like to choose baby gifts, usually they pick up outfits or toys on sale because it gets expensive if they have lots of friends having babies. So telling them to buy from your registry could make them uncomfortable and like you wouldn't appreciate a gift that they chose.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 10:10 am
I receive mails or announcements with link to registry almost for every baby... I don't see anything wrong. It is sent to so many people, maybe more than 100, do you really think they check who buys or not lol

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 10:27 am
I got almost no wedding presents or baby presents, but you can't ask ppl to give. IF someone makes you a shower and asks where you're reigstered, that's another thing.

and I gave many many gifts over the years!

thnmkfully, by th time we made a bar mitzvah, our friends were in a better shape to give.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 10:38 am
people here don't have showers, so that may be why registries are a big thing...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 11:03 am
no bridal showers either? pity. that's when ppl bring gifts.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 11:07 am
I don't even know what the word would be in French... it is unheard of... people bring the gifts to the engagement / wedding / hospital, or they send it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 22 2007, 11:08 am
Now that I think of it, at our wedding we had boxes for the people who wanted to put their gifts inside instead of chasing us with them. B'h they were really full LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette