Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Stew meat, maybe in slow cooker? Please advise

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 12:21 am
Very not into a chulent type of taste.

Bought some chunks of lean stew beef because it was on sale and they didn't have what I wanted. I am assuming that it is called stew meat because it wants to be cooked for a long time and won't be palatable otherwise. So I'm thinking there must be something I can put together tomorrow night in my slow-cooker pot (it's not a crockpot, it's the type where the pot sits on top of the base), put it in the fridge overnight, put up on the slow-cooker base when I leave to work in the morning, and find supper ready when we get home at 6:30ish.

Prefer something not heavy/starchy/sweet. Including vegetables is a plus.

I've never done stew before. Thanks in advance for your help.

kb

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 12:31 am
You can make pulled meat (brisket type) with that kind of meat. I've done it and it came out fine. Fresh and easy has a slow cooker recipe.

Google beef barley stew. There are some good recipes that don't taste like cholent at all. (You can add carrots and stuff)

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:35 am
Can anyone offer a more specific recipe? Pulled brisket concept sounds good. I don't have cookbooks so I need an idea... was hoping to have put it together by now but I'm running late as always... Sad

thatsme

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:26 am
Just put in the meat with chunks of potatoes and swt potatoes, water salt and spices. Simple and delicious

spring13

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 10:16 am
I make mushroom barley soup with it. I don't really measure, but it goes something like this:

Two packages of baby bella and/or white mushrooms, sliced
2 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
About 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag of barley
1 package of stew meat - I usually cut into pieces roughly the same size as the carrot
2 boxes of beef or vegetable broth, or 1 plus water (depends what I have in the cabinet)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder

I make it for Shabbos lunch by putting it on low right before Shabbos. You could put it up in the morning before work and come home and it would be done.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 1:26 pm
Made a delicous stew-dinner last night, I served it over couscous:

Beef stew meat
potaotes
cellery
carrots
onion
water to cover
1 squrit honey
salt
pepper
soy sauce
beef soup consume

Put in slow-cooker for 5-9 hrs on med heat

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:22 pm
Thanks.
I ended up googling around for a recipe for pulled beef in a slow cooker, and chose the one with the fewest ingredients I'd have to leave out due to allergies/health/supply constraints.
Then I prepared everything and put it in the pot before I went to bed.
Put the pot in the fridge front and center.
Put the crockpot base out on the counter, where it hasn't been for a long time, and cleared space around it.
Visualized myself plunking the pot onto the base in the morning.
Reminded myself a few dozen times.
Woke up on the late side and despite going into the fridge to get DD's lunch and going to the counter for my own breakfast-to-go, absolutely did not even SEE either of these items.
So I just put it up close to 3 when I got home and hope it will be edible by supper time, which is a little late tonight because I will be out with the kids, which is why it was the perfect time for a crockpot dinner.

Yay me. It better taste good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics