Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Reducing cooking time on a roast - 5 lb to 3 lb

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 10:14 am
I have a recipe that calls for a 5 lb roast. The recipe says to bake uncovered in sauce for 1 hour. I have a 3 lb roast - how long should I cook it for? Any advice? I'd normally say 45 minutes, but 45 minutes sounds awfully short for a roast, even a small one.

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:01 pm
anyone?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:03 pm
Probably because it's uncovered, that reduced the cooking time. I would say bake it for 45 minutes and then check if the juices run clear when pierced, whether it feels fork-tender (or however it's supposed to feel.....)

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:08 pm
Thanks! It's the Minute Roast from the BY cookbook. I've almost never failed with a recipe from that cookbook so I figured I'd give it a try.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:10 pm
Minute roasts are supposed to be really tender (one of my favorite cuts because it comes out delicious in so many different ways), so check if it feels soft enough.

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:11 pm
Do you know anything about RibEye Roast? That's the other cut my DH brought home - don't think I've ever made it before.

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:36 pm
It depends if it's the type of roast that is good well done ( like brisket style) or meant to be prepared rare/medium rare. I don't know about minute roast, but a ribeye roast is supposed to be cooked rare/ medium rare, so you would definitely need to adjust the time so it doesn't get overdone. For a well done style roast, it's going to be hard to really overdo it.

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:51 pm
tichellady wrote:
It depends if it's the type of roast that is good well done ( like brisket style) or meant to be prepared rare/medium rare. I don't know about minute roast, but a ribeye roast is supposed to be cooked rare/ medium rare, so you would definitely need to adjust the time so it doesn't get overdone. For a well done style roast, it's going to be hard to really overdo it.

I haven't decided how to cook the ribeye yet. Never had that type of roast before. Do you have any suggestions?

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:08 pm
I cannot imagine cooking a roast for under an hour ... any roast

what I would do is keep checking the liquid levels & basting so that you will see when it's ready

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:32 pm
5 pound roast at 1 hour will be rare, which can be delicious with the right cut but just wanted to make you aware.

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
5 pound roast at 1 hour will be rare, which can be delicious with the right cut but just wanted to make you aware.

Thanks ra_mom. Would minute roast or rib eye roast work well rare? We usually like our meats rare.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:02 pm
I haven't tried minute rare. it has a grain running through it that I find needs low and slow but really I don't know for sure since I haven't tried.
Rib eye roast is good rare.

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I haven't tried minute rare. it has a grain running through it that I find needs low and slow but really I don't know for sure since I haven't tried.
Rib eye roast is good rare.

Do you have a good low and slow recipe for Minute Roast?

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:50 pm
For ribeye, keep it simple, some balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, rosemary and lots of Garlic- I cook it around 225 for a while, use a meat thermometer to check for temperature and you can sear it at the end

imamazing

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 7:27 pm
I believer the general rule with covered roast on 350 is 45 mins per lb. that would be 2 hr 15 min for a 3 lb roast.

I personally love baking minute roast on 250 for 5 hours . It comes out soft as butter. I slice a bunch of onions under it and pour over a light soy ( sometimes with steak spice ) .

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 12:53 pm
I ended up buying a minute roast for Rosh Hashana even though I have never made it before because that was what was on sale today. So the consensus is low and slow- similar to brisket? Did anyone try making it medium-rare? Thanks! I feel pretty competent in the kitchen, except when it comes to roasts...

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:09 pm
tichellady wrote:
I ended up buying a minute roast for Rosh Hashana even though I have never made it before because that was what was on sale today. So the consensus is low and slow- similar to brisket? Did anyone try making it medium-rare? Thanks! I feel pretty competent in the kitchen, except when it comes to roasts...
Yes, slow moist cooking.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:15 pm
debsey wrote:
Do you have a good low and slow recipe for Minute Roast?
I like it pot roasted.
Make a thick paste with lots of crushed garlic, kosher salt, (wine vinegar) and olive oil. Rub into roast, seal in Ziploc, and marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours.
Sauté lots of diced onions in a pot that will fit the roast snuggly on the bottom. Turn flame to low. Add meat and allow the roast to change color for 1 hour, turning over occasionally. Make sure the meat doesn't brown, just change color.
Add a turkey drumstick and parsnip for tenderness and flavor. Fill with water 2/3 up. Cook 3 pound roast for about an for 1 hour (I don't remember if minute roast needed longer but I do remember it being very good).
Chill overnight. Slice. Store gravy and meat slices separately.
To rewarm, mix your favorite sauce with the cooking juices and reheat slices.

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:51 pm
Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics