Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Communities for us?? Clifton, Miami, etc?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 6:57 am
We are a normal, down to earth, BY chilled, professional couple. WE are looking to move out of Brooklyn and into a more affordable and close knit community.

Iyh we will have around 150-160k to put down,we need at least 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, we really want a nice house but most of all an amazing community. Not too out of town, like Detroit, as we are both from NY and we do need more of a city life as that is what we are used to.

Any info on Florida? We dont know anyone there but it always seemed nice and chilled and friendly, which is what we really want. we want a community that we will make friends easily.
How about clifton, nj?

Any other ideas?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 7:00 am
We would also like info on West Hempstead as well.

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 7:17 am
Passaic/Clifton and Miami could both definitely work for you. Do you have a climate preference, as they are obviously quite different? The best would be if you could arrange to go visit for a Shabbos/weekend to see for yourselves. You could also look into Edison/Highland Park.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 4:06 pm
No climate preference, we are used to the Northeast though. Florida would probably be an adjustment. Is it strange to move to Boca or Miami without knowing anyone?I worry about that. Or is it a growing and welcoming community?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 5:53 pm
Clifton is already expensive.

imamom7

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 6:13 pm
Miami is expensive- unless you mean north Miami which is more yeshivish
The houses in Clifton are small so if you want a spacious 4 bedroom - your price range is on the low side ( I'm assuming by 160 down- that includes closing costs)
Would you consider woodmere? How about monsey? Lakewood?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 7:37 pm
Houses in MB, for the most part run in $1m range and up.
NMB $700 and up
There's also Surfside, Bal Harbor, Aventura, Hollywood, Boca, and many other SFL communities, but no where in SFL is housing going to be less than $700,000.
Unless you find a metziah of a foreclosure that was put up for auction and you were allowed to bid, because usually only realtors are allowed to bid.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
Houses in MB, for the most part run in $1m range and up.
NMB $700 and up
There's also Surfside, Bal Harbor, Aventura, Hollywood, Boca, and many other SFL communities, but no where in SFL is housing going to be less than $700,000.
Unless you find a metziah of a foreclosure that was put up for auction and you were allowed to bid, because usually only realtors are allowed to bid.

No way. We were looking at that neighborhood a couple years ago and homes were closer to $400 average. And in my opinion overpriced at that. Great, warm community but ugly, high-crime area.

OP, Hollywood, where we ended up, is really nice and still somewhat affordable. Very mixed, friendly crowd.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
No way. We were looking at that neighborhood a couple years ago and homes were closer to $400 average. And in my opinion overpriced at that. Great, warm community but ugly, high-crime area.

OP, Hollywood, where we ended up, is really nice and still somewhat affordable. Very mixed, friendly crowd.

Prices have risen dramatically in the past 5 yrs, again.
Nothing less than $600-$700, 4/3, in the NMB area.
Other areas more
In the Jewish area, of course. On the outskirts maybe cheaper.
Agree that NMB has a high crime rate.
Surf side is nice, you maybe able to find a house there in the $600-$700 range. 4/3. Houses there are older.
Hollywood and Boca houses are newer.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 12:10 am
Doesn't the job market affect your search? Salaries are different in different areas, so that's going to play into what you can afford.

Also, cost of living is much broader than just housing costs. Consider taxes (income and property), tuition, transportation and social expectations.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 4:10 am
Look into Houston, TX. The community is very close knit and it's really growing. They are starting to build a new development in the frum neighborhood with beautiful houses starting I believe in the $300,000s

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 4:38 am
Check out Baltimore.

perquacky

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:22 am
As for West Hempstead, you might be able to find a 4-bedroom in your price range, but it will be smaller or on the outskirts of town. The neighborhood is expanding its boarders, though, so it's worth looking. We have many ex-Brooklynites moving in. I'm sure you'd find your chevrah.

nia73

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:12 pm
Cooper City is also in S. Florida and growing (15 min West of Hollywood). Lovely, large homes that are much cheaper than MB as well as safer & more spacious than NMB. Very much a family-oriented/suburban like town but close enough to the city. I have good friends there if you want contact info.

How do you hold. Ashkinaz? Sephardic? NMB & MB are mainly Ashkinaz and yeshivish while Hollywood is the mecca of Sephardim in S. Florida but not very yeshivish. Cooper City is mostly Chabad and Ashkinaz.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:16 pm
nia73 wrote:
Cooper City is also in S. Florida and growing (15 min West of Hollywood). Lovely, large homes that are much cheaper than MB as well as safer & more spacious than NMB. Very much a family-oriented/suburban like town but close enough to the city. I have good friends there if you want contact info.

How do you hold. Ashkinaz? Sephardic? NMB & MB are mainly Ashkinaz and yeshivish while Hollywood is the mecca of Sephardim in S. Florida but not very yeshivish. Cooper City is mostly Chabad and Ashkinaz.

I think Cooper City would be a tough place to live coming from Brooklyn. Yes, beautiful, affordable homes. Yes, close enough to schools and everything else necessary for Jewish life, but how many frum families actually live there at this point? Might not be too many kids for your kids to play with shabbos, etc.

nia73

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:19 pm
Last report that I got it was about 9 Ashkinaz families. Idk how many frum families are at Chabad but lots of kids are there is you are not stoic on Ashkinaz only. They (the friends that are starting this community) are bringing people from all over. Several families from MB have moved already for the space & affordability. Pm if you want me to link you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating