Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you take food when staying at a hotel

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:14 pm
I started this question on a different forum with a query about my ds. But I am curious if you stay at a hotel and you are going touring for lunch and will not have a restaurant or food available. Do you order the box lunch the hotel offers(which has nothing the kids will eat and of course is an exorbitant price). Or do you just take a few rolls and some fruit or cookies that they are serving during breakfast and not ask.

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:24 pm
I would take. I have even asked for foil. I'm not sure exactly what types of places you stay at, but the two times I stayed at places like you are describing it was very clear that you could take food for later ( one was a pesach program and one was a cruise and we didn't take extra food until the end and there was always tons leftover and they gave us foil)

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:34 pm
yep- pesach programs, but I always brought my own tin foil cuz I felt weird asking, but these programs also charged for their boxed lunches- so I wonder if that makes a difference. The way I sort of see it is I spent enough money for the program and there is always so much leftover over food that will most likely be trashed...

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 7:34 pm
My mom uses to say we could take food from breakfast. So we did, but then she would say, "You don't have to be so obvious." She said it was fine, but we shouldn't flaunt it. This didn't sit right with me, so my rebellion is that I would go up to a staff person and ask outright. Usually I got a yes, but once or twice I got a no and would tell my parents.

On Pesach programs now, I always ask unless we were told already. I have never been told no, except for specialty items that there are only a few of.

cm

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:16 pm
A few rolls and fruit - ok.

Stocking up against a famine - no.

I stay at kosher hotels so rarely that I make a regular practice of packing everything we will need for the trip and booking a room with a fridge. I would do the same thing at a Pesach program if there was a good chance that the children would need an alternate lunch every day.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
My mom uses to say we could take food from breakfast. So we did, but then she would say, "You don't have to be so obvious." She said it was fine, but we shouldn't flaunt it. This didn't sit right with me, so my rebellion is that I would go up to a staff person and ask outright. Usually I got a yes, but once or twice I got a no and would tell my parents.

On Pesach programs now, I always ask unless we were told already. I have never been told no, except for specialty items that there are only a few of.

My mother would do the same thing and when I have taken in the past I was also pretty careful to make sure no one was looking- I guess that is coming back to haunt me because now ds is worried that it is considered stealing even though it was a few years ago-(Making a phone call to our LOR tomorrow). Now I have the confidence to just ask.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 9:42 pm
No way. My husband would be mortified.

essie14

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:29 am
Every time I have stayed at a Kosher hotel in Israel, I see people taking food from breakfast. It is completely expected to take some rolls, rugelach and yogurt. Most dining rooms will even give you foil or a bag. Taking for yourself/kids who are with you = normal. Stocking up and looking as if you just did a supermarket run = not ok.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:35 am
For ne it's a terrific.theoretical question but I dint think.I would take without asking first

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:49 am
We make sure the hotel has a fridge an we'll bring things for simple sandwiches.

Usually, though, we don't stay at hotels outside of Israel. We prefer airbnb apartments where we can cook our own food.

And we don't go on organized tours with hotel stays because we hate those.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 4:38 am
We loved what they offered (what you call a box).

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 5:05 am
the only kosher hotels I've stayed in have been in Israel. And not with kids. If I would have been with kids I would have been tempted to take some rolls and yogurt for later. (I assume they don't keep the rolls from day to day so those all go to waste anyway...)

In any case after those breakfasts I am never hungry until 4pm. LOL

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:22 am
I wouldn't take enough food for a whole lunch. I'd take, like, a roll that my kids took but didn't eat (otherwise it just gets thrown away), but I can't imagine that'd be enough for a whole meal while touring.

I'd go grocery shopping for snacks/lunches for the stay.

Mevater

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
No way. My husband would be mortified.

So what do you do if you're hungry between meals?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics