Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what age did your autistic child start realizing when...

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:48 pm
At what age did your autistic child start realizing when another person is hurt?
At what age did you autistic child start understanding or getting scared when you are angry at them or yelled at them for doing something wrong?
When did your child start talking fully?
Is your child mainstreamed? or are you thinking of mainstreaming?

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:03 am
In contrast to the saying, "if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all", when it comes to kids with ASD, the saying goes, "if you've seen one, you've seen one."

Each one of us here has a different answer to your questions.

And part of that difference is about the genetics. Part is about the environment of the home. And part is about which treatments were pursued at which age.

Overcoming mind blindness (awareness of the emotions of others being different from yours) for us has been best accomplished by everyone learning about Michelle Garcia Winner's Social Thinking curriculum.

My DS always hates it when anyone yells or gets annoyed with him. I think a lot of spectrum kids do. Some ASD kids then appear like they don't notice or care, because they're blocking out the unpleasant noise. Learning how to speak calmly no matter what has been one of my great challenges as an ASD mom.

Talking varies hugely on the spectrum, no guarantees based on anyone else. Even the expert therapists don't really know. Ask your BCBA to work on improving communication for the short and long term.

My 2 ASD kids are mainstreamed, with some extra supports. But again, each experience is unique.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:18 am
My 3.5 year old autistic child never reacts when I yell at her like she got insulted or scared. She just giggles in my face. The noise might bother her but not the fact that I got angry at her. Also if she hurts one of her siblings and they cry, she doesn't feel bad for them, or realized she hurt them, she just thinks she is playing with them and giggles when they cry. If they cry to loud the noise might bother her and she would put her hands on her ears. Is there an age when I can expect her to start being aware of other peoples emotions? (she also used to never be jealous of her siblings or realize they got something she didn't, but B"H she is aware of that already and Im so happy to see her tantruming when she wants something someone else has.)

imasinger wrote:
In contrast to the saying, "if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all", when it comes to kids with ASD, the saying goes, "if you've seen one, you've seen one."

Each one of us here has a different answer to your questions.

And part of that difference is about the genetics. Part is about the environment of the home. And part is about which treatments were pursued at which age.

Overcoming mind blindness (awareness of the emotions of others being different from yours) for us has been best accomplished by everyone learning about Michelle Garcia Winner's Social Thinking curriculum.

My DS always hates it when anyone yells or gets annoyed with him. I think a lot of spectrum kids do. Some ASD kids then appear like they don't notice or care, because they're blocking out the unpleasant noise. Learning how to speak calmly no matter what has been one of my great challenges as an ASD mom.

Talking varies hugely on the spectrum, no guarantees based on anyone else. Even the expert therapists don't really know. Ask your BCBA to work on improving communication for the short and long term.

My 2 ASD kids are mainstreamed, with some extra supports. But again, each experience is unique.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:23 am
It's not about age, it's about ability. Is she getting any support? Hopefully an ABA therapist can teach her the skill of noticing others' emotions. Some ASD kids can't grasp that on their own and need to be taught.

You can help teach her by pointing out others' emotions. "Oh look, Chanie is crying. She must be very sad. Let's give her a hug to help her feel better." Model proper behavior for her and hopefully she will learn how to consider others' emotions.

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:14 am
It's hard to say. For instance , mine technically talked "on time" and had lots of words by 1.5 and could communicate basic needs (I want milk, I need diaper, things like that) but didn't ask or respond to questions or converse till after 3. He has only really started understanding emotions, both his own and others, in the last year or so (he's 5 now). He used to not react at all, like another kid would take a toy and he'd just slink away with an emotionless expression, now, he'll always get upset and occasionally actually stick up for himself. And he does understand how others might be feeling, though he's much better at it with immediate family (me and dh and siblings) than with anyone else. It's being worked on now with bcba and social skills classes. He is right now in an integrated yeshiva program, we plan to mainstream in a year or 2.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics