Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do chassidish people.realize they're dressing their boys in
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:28 pm
amother wrote:
I think she means the very young children, before they start wearing the 'uniforms.' Some chassidish children are dressed very flamboyantly, boys included.
One of my very chassidish friends explained to me that by the time her son is 6 he's going to be wearing black and white for the rest of his life. This is the only time she can really dress him and have fun with it, and she goes all out.

Chassidish boys don't start wearing a "uniform" until they're 13, after the bar mitzvah. Nobody starts wearing all black and white at 6.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:33 pm
from google images

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:46 pm
Happy to see a thread about this on imamother. I am turned off by the way little boys are dressing now and my reason is really fear that it will ultimately pull boys into the world of fashion and dressing stylish. I do not take issue with frum mothers doing this to their girls even if I personally would not dress my little girls very stylish. But, I already have teenage girls and it becomes a pressure to dress trendy, etc. Fine. Leave my boys out of it PLEASE. Why bring boys into this madness of fashion?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:51 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Thanks for sticking up for me Thumbs Up . Fashion is totally a hobby for me. When I'm done for my own kids, I often a shop for others, and I'm always looking out for great deals.

It is totally a hobby and I respect that, but you should realize that this is a hobby that ends up affecting other people in the long run. If you were knitting in your house then I would not be impacted. However, I think enough people are developing this hobby just to fit in that it adds pressure to us all. I know that I for one have pressure from my MIL to dress my kids stylish, she recently complained that I am dressing my son "like an old man" because I got him a plain navy suit for Shabbos. My son is 8 and I think he looks adorable and just fine in a plain suit, he loves dressing like Totty. So please realize that people might criticize the hobby even though someone with this hobby does not mean any harm to others.

btw, mommy32bc, your son is adorable keh"! have a lot of nachas!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
from google images

The only Orthodox kids I've seen pulling off that kind of look are on the left end of the modern spectrum. What yeshivish/Chasidish kids are wearing doesn't come across like that at all.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
It is totally a hobby and I respect that, but you should realize that this is a hobby that ends up affecting other people in the long run. If you were knitting in your house then I would not be impacted. However, I think enough people are developing this hobby just to fit in that it adds pressure to us all. I know that I for one have pressure from my MIL to dress my kids stylish, she recently complained that I am dressing my son "like an old man" because I got him a plain navy suit for Shabbos. My son is 8 and I think he looks adorable and just fine in a plain suit, he loves dressing like Totty. So please realize that people might criticize the hobby even though someone with this hobby does not mean any harm to others.

btw, mommy32bc, your son is adorable keh"! have a lot of nachas!

I don't mind the criticism. I myself think that it's a stupid hobby. It's pure gashmius, and I try to work on myself. It's hard because I really enjoy it, but what does bother me is anonymous people calling me names and misinterpreting my words.

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:05 am
None of the photos posted here so far look like girls' clothing to me.

BTW, I am not Chassidish.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:06 am
It's not just chasidish people. But I agree with OP, they look gay! Trust me, I grew up in a neighborhood where frum kids could pick out gay people in a crowd as easily as they could pick out a sheitel. Why do some frum people feel the need to follow fashion so closely? We need to think about what our hobbies represent!
And the cost and materialism! It's bad enough among the girls! I long for the days when we dressed our boys in argyle sweaters and vests from the children's place.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:21 am
DrMom wrote:
None of the photos posted here so far look like girls' clothing to me.

BTW, I am not Chassidish.

Thats because its not girls clothing. Boys clothing is very tight these days. Some outfits can look more feminine, but were talking about babies. Who cares?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:37 am
amother wrote:

And the cost and materialism! It's bad enough among the girls! I long for the days when we dressed our boys in argyle sweaters and vests from the children's place.

B"H there are still places where people dress their boys like that. Those places just aren't Brooklyn. Monsey, or Lakewood.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 1:34 am
amother wrote:
Do chassidish people realize they're dressing their little boys in gay fashion? those leggings and girly tops... do they realize what it connotes?

Some of you women are so ignorant it really hurts me to read these comments.
I cant decide if some of you are joking or not.
I didn't know that leggings "connote" anything...

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:07 am
amother wrote:
I don't have an issue with the little boys dressing in the way described. However I do have an issue with what I've been seeing in the yeshiva world - granted, not chassidish, but nevertheless. Boys going to yeshiva should not be wearing tight pants. And their fathers coming to pick them up should certainly not be wearing tight pants. When I went to pick up my son the other day, I saw a father wearing tight white pants. Really? I'm no fanatic, but I do believe that if we are sending our boys to yeshiva there oughta be some difference, a level of refinement, in the way we dress. I believe there can be fashion without necessarily copying everything we see.

I totally agree!

Dh has been saying this for a few years. NONE of the rabbonim have said anything about tight pants. Our men are wearing what is available in stores and not saying anything. The clothing designers are deciding the styles and cuts for the bnei Torah!
So in a conversation dh and I had recently, we said it would be great to have a kenes for men on tznius. They will come thinking it's about women. LOL

Dh comes home from yeshiva disgusted with the tightness of the pants he has to see everyday. And they wear them tight.

(Is this at all connected to the tight shirts, skinny ties and small hat brims?)

[vent over]

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:41 am
amother wrote:
It's not just chasidish people. But I agree with OP, they look gay! Trust me, I grew up in a neighborhood where frum kids could pick out gay people in a crowd as easily as they could pick out a sheitel. Why do some frum people feel the need to follow fashion so closely? We need to think about what our hobbies represent!

This is absurd.
This little baby looks gay?

These people are gay. What exactly about their clothing reveals this? I am curious.

byisrael

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 4:44 am
The only issue I have with tight pants on little kids is when they are in the just toliet trained stage....

I've witnessed to many accidents cause boys couldn't get the pants off quick enough Sad

Otherwise enjoy....

There is also a fine line between fashionable and cute and ew - some frum people don't seem to know the difference but those are usually the ones trying to keep up with the trends whyo don't have their own fashion sense.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 5:02 am
The first picture (he's really cute!!!) just looks like pjs to me. I've definitely noticed little boys pjs tend to be much tighter fitting nowadays. (I don't buy designer clothing - talking about gap and other shops.)

I would probably put my son in the second outfit, or clothing resembling it. Although I prefer darker colours at that age. Nothing against tight trousers, (as long as they are designed for boys) but I wouldn't use leggings.

If you like classic boys clothing google image search prince george. Plenty of adorable boys outfits and not a pair of leggings in sight. And no one can accuse Princess Kate of being unfashionable.

Shuly

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 5:23 am
I happen to think this store sells adorable clothing, but this is the look OP is talking about:

http://www.shirtstop.us/get-th.....html/

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 5:23 am
Pjs are tight for fire safety.
I'm not so impressed with Kate's choice in little boy clothes, it's a lot of matching his father, t-strap shoes and shorts with long sleeves which just look silly.
Other than that it's regular preppy little boy clothes.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:05 am
simcha2 wrote:
Ok, this explains it! I live OOT but was in Lakewood a couple of months ago. There was a woman with her baby (maybe a year old) in her cart, he was wearing green leggings and top. I figured they must be very hard up and he had to wear an older girl sibling's clothes.

Yup, I don't follow fashion at all!

If that's the case, how did you know it was a boy (unless she changed his diaper in front of you)?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:05 am
Here's my two cents. When you live in an insular community, you don't always realize that your super-specific local trends look odd to outsiders. I remember someone asking me why Chassidishe ladies wear Smurf hats. Go explain.

Anyone remember the "Bais Yaakov bump" that was a huge bulge in front of a headband? No one else in the world wore their hair that way. It was very "in" but only for a very small group.

A lot of these kids' outfits exist only in catalogs and in some frum neighborhoods. So they come off as strange to everyone else.

The question is just whether you should care. If Tatty is walking around in a shtreimel and a bekeshe, who cares if Junior is dressed a little out of sync with the rest of the world?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:45 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don't mind the criticism. I myself think that it's a stupid hobby. It's pure gashmius, and I try to work on myself. It's hard because I really enjoy it, but what does bother me is anonymous people calling me names and misinterpreting my words.

I didn't call you any names. You actually seem nice. I said I thought the POST sounded snotty.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics