Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has imamother helped u?(finding some threads so offputing)
Previous  1  2  3

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
This post actually makes me feel kind of uneasy.

How so? Can you explain?

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:36 am
what I truly find off-putting is not knowing who says horrible things to you behind your back using 'amother' & then comes on in their screename pretending to be nice ... there are but few I trust to be themselves

eschaya

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:57 am
Imamother has helped me tremendously, primarily by enabling me to recognize that feelings or issues that I had and long thought to be specific to myself and problematic are actually common and not indicative of some deep religious or psychological flaw. I had felt so alone in some of those feelings, and questioned both my sanity and emunah. Finding that there is a community of wonderful, normal women, many of whom struggle with similar issues was such a huge relief. It allowed me to realize that while there may be systems problems, the problems don't like within me.
Another great thing about imamothers is that it really provides a pulse on the issues frum women deal with and care about. There is a broad swath of humanity (well, those who fit in the frum woman role) represented here and it allows us to find things that connect us all, and to identify those areas where we differ.
Of course, I also get great recipes, practical advice, and occasional mindless entertainment too.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 10:13 pm
I feel that Imamother has been a caution to me. Growing up in a conservative household in London and attending non-Jewish schools and universities, it was always a well known prejudice that Jewish women are b*tchy although most of us didn't know any/many.
Well, that prejudice definitely has grounds.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
I feel that Imamother has been a caution to me. Growing up in a conservative household in London and attending non-Jewish schools and universities, it was always a well known prejudice that Jewish women are b*tchy although most of us didn't know any/many.

Wow. Great job painting an entire group with one brush. I grew up conservative in Canada where I attended public schools and university and it was clear to me as a Canadian Jew that there were nasty people in all cultures and also good ones. I think a little soul searching for you is appropriate in this auspicious time. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Have a good and peaceful new year. And may you be inscribed in the book of life.

mamamia1

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 12:07 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I believe that Hashem sends certain people to you to strengthen your middos, even while challenging them. It's easy to have Ahavas Isroel for people who agree with you and are nice, but that's not what Ahavas Isroel really means. It means recognizing the spark of the divine in each person, regardless of the package it's wrapped in, or how deeply it's hidden.

Only by dealing with people who are difficult for you, can you develop the insight to see past their surface behaviors and see their soul. Think of it as if you were working out at the gym, you have to build up the muscles. Sure, you'll be sore and achy a lot, but it's the only way to get stronger.

What a beautiful and actually educational post.
It was worth joining imamother just to catch this wisdom. I'm copying and pasting it....
I guess its something in grappling with now and this talks to me....
Thank you and bless you Frantic Frummie

And Id love more readings on this idea

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 1:40 am
I've gotten wonderful chizuk here while going through rough spots. I've also gained insights and awareness about different issues and I'm going anon because the downside is I've gotten paranoid about my dh from all the sa posts.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:13 am
andrea levy wrote:
Wow. Great job painting an entire group with one brush. I grew up conservative in Canada where I attended public schools and university and it was clear to me as a Canadian Jew that there were nasty people in all cultures and also good ones. I think a little soul searching for you is appropriate in this auspicious time. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Have a good and peaceful new year. And may you be inscribed in the book of life.

She is probably the OP of that 'looking for classy MO communities' and yeah she did get a slew of awful responses (which probably warrant an apology).

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:06 am
amother wrote:

I'm sorry. And impressed that you made your way back anyway.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics