Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do chassidish people.realize they're dressing their boys in
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:47 am
amother wrote:
It is totally a hobby and I respect that, but you should realize that this is a hobby that ends up affecting other people in the long run. If you were knitting in your house then I would not be impacted. However, I think enough people are developing this hobby just to fit in that it adds pressure to us all. I know that I for one have pressure from my MIL to dress my kids stylish, she recently complained that I am dressing my son "like an old man" because I got him a plain navy suit for Shabbos. My son is 8 and I think he looks adorable and just fine in a plain suit, he loves dressing like Totty. So please realize that people might criticize the hobby even though someone with this hobby does not mean any harm to others.

btw, mommy32bc, your son is adorable keh"! have a lot of nachas!

Totally disagree. The way others dress their families does not affect you at all.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:52 am
Shuly wrote:
I happen to think this store sells adorable clothing, but this is the look OP is talking about:

http://www.shirtstop.us/get-th.....html/

Yup, that looks truly odd to me. No one where I live dresses their boys like that.

However to each their own. I'll dress my kids how I like, you can dress yours how you want. Lets not make fun of each other for having our own individual taste.

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:58 am
Shuly wrote:
I happen to think this store sells adorable clothing, but this is the look OP is talking about:

Looks like a Robin Hood costume. He needs a jaunty little hat and a quiver of arrows.

I've never seen anyone dressed like this in this day and age when it wasn't Purim.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:07 am
Shuly wrote:

If you know where this image is from, I'll be your best friend forever.

[img][/img]

treestump

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:15 am
No thoughts on the current styles for boys, but I found the premise of the thread quite amusing.

Clothing is cultural. Every society has different 'rules' for clothing and trends, and what is appropriate in one culture may not be appropriate in another.

Hence, what has a 'gay' association for you or in your culture, is unique to your culture. It does not necessarily translate in another culture with the same association.

If you think dressing boys in pink is gay... Well, look at the early 1900s, where all boys wore pink. In their culture, pink was a strong masculine color. I guess in chassidish culture, coral and other such colors are not considered exclusively feminine.

If you think men dressing in floral is gay ... well, I've seen pictures of chassidish Rebbes all dressed in what seems to be silk floral dresses.

I don't think it's coming from a place of naivete, as the OP seems to imply. It's just a different culture.

Personally, while I've never seen any little boys wearing these styles, I find it quite artsy, off beat and a refreshing change from plaids and stripes.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:30 am
DrMom wrote:
Looks like a Robin Hood costume. He needs a jaunty little hat and a quiver of arrows.

I've never seen anyone dressed like this in this day and age when it wasn't Purim.

And in brooklyn, tons of kids wear those shirts. They are about $60 and considered very trendy. Its all a matter of taste, and what you are used to.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:19 am
I have my own opinion on this style, which is that its not my taste - and thats fine because its my opinion.

I also have an opinion about this thread, which is that this is one of the most repulsive threads in a long time.

Please tell me - how does "gay" look? People on here are saying that little kids clothes looks gay? I cant even.

And Mommy3b2c - please ignore all of these people. You like the clothes, buy it and enjoy.

And to others who are putting her down, even if you claim that you arent - its clear that you are. This poster is the FIRST one to offer help to anyone who needs it. Although she may walk a different walk of life then you do (what she enjoys, what she spends) she is CLEARLY someone with a heart of gold.

And your baby is adorable.

ETA I am reporting my own post because I think this thread needs to be shut down.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:44 am
watergirl wrote:
I have my own opinion on this style, which is that its not my taste - and thats fine because its my opinion.

I also have an opinion about this thread, which is that this is one of the most repulsive threads in a long time.

Please tell me - how does "gay" look? People on here are saying that little kids clothes looks gay? I cant even.

And Mommy3b2c - please ignore all of these people. You like the clothes, buy it and enjoy.

And to others who are putting her down, even if you claim that you arent - its clear that you are. This poster is the FIRST one to offer help to anyone who needs it. Although she may walk a different walk of life then you do (what she enjoys, what she spends) she is CLEARLY someone with a heart of gold.

And your baby is adorable.

ETA I am reporting my own post because I think this thread needs to be shut down.

Thanks for the support. And the compliments!

Don't worry though, it really doesn't bother me what some anonymous posters on the internet think. As much as they dislike my taste, that's how much I probably dislike theirs. I'm actually finding much of this thread amusing.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:58 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
And in brooklyn, tons of kids wear those shirts. They are about $60 and considered very trendy. Its all a matter of taste, and what you are used to.

I live in boro park and I haven't seen a single boy in a shirt like that.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:04 am
yidisheh mama wrote:

they're called sierra Julian, priced $60 and come in a million colors and designs. they are very popular in the upscale jewish stores.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:11 am
I think we should all refocus the main point of this thread to the fact that Dr. Mom just notified all of us that Wentworth Miller is gay.

To heck with all this dieting and exercise. I'm now free to let myself go. Broken Heart

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:11 am
yidisheh mama wrote:

You've never seen a Sierra Julian shirt?

They sell them in whoopi and they go like mad. Are you sure?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:13 am
Iymnok wrote:
I totally agree!

Dh has been saying this for a few years. NONE of the rabbonim have said anything about tight pants. Our men are wearing what is available in stores and not saying anything. The clothing designers are deciding the styles and cuts for the bnei Torah!
So in a conversation dh and I had recently, we said it would be great to have a kenes for men on tznius. They will come thinking it's about women. LOL

Dh comes home from yeshiva disgusted with the tightness of the pants he has to see everyday. And they wear them tight.

(Is this at all connected to the tight shirts, skinny ties and small hat brims?)

[vent over]

Actually in Wmsbg the chadorim have been sending home notes to parents that the boys canNOT wear tight pants and flashy colors.

In the more uber-chasidish chadorim (satmar, kashau, etc) you will hardly find any little boys in colored leggings. Maybe in preschool. By the time theyre five and in kitteh alef, maybe you'll find the odd mustard or burgundy pants, but not vibrantly colored leggings. Maybe in the more 'trendier' smaller chadorim the moms are more fashion minded.

Personally, my boys only wear navy, gray, and maybe brown pants, with polos / rugby shirts. That's it. But I think a little boy under age 5 looks cute in a vibrantly colored legging. There's nothing gay about that. They're preschoolers. Yes, cheder-aged kids should not be wearing tight pants. I have such a hard time finding pants that aren't tight, in the local stores. I had to resort to buying pants at childrens place!!!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:14 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
You've never seen a Sierra Julian shirt?

They sell them in whoopi and they go like mad. Are you sure?

of course she's seen them, it's not possible not to see them in BP. she probably just doesn't know what she's seeing. that's fine.

Mommy3b2c, will you help me shop for my little boy? I love these styles but I'm a terrible shopper.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:19 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I had to resort to buying pants at childrens place!!!

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:19 am
Mrs.K wrote:
I think we should all refocus the main point of this thread to the fact that Dr. Mom just notified all of us that Wentworth Miller is gay.

To heck with all this dieting and exercise. I'm now free to let myself go. Broken Heart

You didn't know he was gay?

I think I cried when I found out.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:21 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Thanks for the support. And the compliments!

Don't worry though, it really doesn't bother me what some anonymous posters on the internet think. As much as they dislike my taste, that's how much I probably dislike theirs. I'm actually finding much of this thread amusing.

I hope that Watergirl was not considering my post as a putdown to mommy3b2c, I actually am very sorry if that is the case. I also like mommy3b2c's posts and did not mean to offend her. I think that mommy3b3c should continue dressing her kids the way she wants and honestly IMO it is not a bad outlet since she enjoys it so much and likely keeps her a better and happier Mom. That said, it does impact me on some level. Still, I would not want mommy3b2c to stop what is obviously so enjoyable to her! That said, if anyone has advice on how to respond to my MIL in a respectful way when she complains that I am dressing my 8 year old boy like an old man (navy suit that is not "skinny pants" but not too loose IMO, nice tie, solid socks with some design, loafers) then please share.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
of course she's seen them, it's not possible not to see them in BP. she probably just doesn't know what she's seeing. that's fine.

Mommy3b2c, will you help me shop for my little boy? I love these styles but I'm a terrible shopper.

Id love to help you shop! And I can find you stylish stuff at any price point too!
I just bought my baby some adorable tee shirts at old navy for $3!

debsey

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:28 am
Fashion is fun, within reason. Personally I love how my toddler (girl) looks in her jeans and her adorable clothes from Gap. Obviously, she won't have hot pink jeans in two years from now, but for now, they're adorable and I'm having fun with them. Dressing boys fashionable is part of the same thing. Soon enough, they'll put on a "uniform" of sorts, might as well have fun with dressing them now.

What I dislike about the "super-skinny" jeans look is that just CAN'T be comfortable for playtime. If a kid is 4 and he can't climb the steps to the sliding pond because of his tight jeans, that's a problem. Fashion is fine, in its place, but kids need to be comfortable first. Then cute.

You know how businesses have a dress code - "Business casual" or "formal suit"? Well, the business of childhood is play, and all clothing should be play clothes first.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:29 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Id love to help you shop! And I can find you stylish stuff at any price point too!
I just bought my baby some adorable tee shirts at old navy for $3!

yippee, thanks! would you like to share? send links?
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics