Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
No money
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:30 am
I've been through tough times, tougher and better times. It's hard.
I'm now in a bit better position so don't qualify for any help but really can't afford more than bare minimum. We eat pasta or eggs for supper every night.

I'm BH very very grateful that I'm able to pay rent and utilities which in the past,I was not able to!
I have relatives who are very wealthy too, someone told me we should eat more chicken ad meat, fruits veggies etc as it's an unhealthy diet for growing kids, I wanted to cry as they don't get that there is no grocery money. that the $3-400 a month I do spend on groceries for a family of 5 is already very hard, empties the account totally.
We both work many hours, BH we pay all our other bills, we just don't buy more than bare minimum food and no other items unless emergency and that comes form our food budget.

As dismal as this may sound, I feel like I'm in a great place and iyh when we pay off some debt from when things were really tough, we will be able to buy healthier food!

I recently learnt that Rosh Hashanah should be a time that we look at he past year and all the positives that Hashem has done for us and then look at what we did and see who owes who what!

Keeping positive is what keeps me going!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
I'm now in a bit better position so don't qualify for any help but really can't afford more than bare minimum. We eat pasta or eggs for supper every night.

I'm BH very very grateful that I'm able to pay rent and utilities which in the past,I was not able to!
I have relatives who are very wealthy too, someone told me we should eat more chicken ad meat, fruits veggies etc as it's an unhealthy diet for growing kids, I wanted to cry as they don't get that there is no grocery money. that the $3-400 a month I do spend on groceries for a family of 5 is already very hard, empties the account totally.
We both work many hours, BH we pay all our other bills, we just don't buy more than bare minimum food and no other items unless emergency and that comes form our food budget.

As dismal as this may sound, I feel like I'm in a great place and iyh when we pay off some debt from when things were really tough, we will be able to buy healthier food!

I recently learnt that Rosh Hashanah should be a time that we look at he past year and all the positives that Hashem has done for us and then look at what we did and see who owes who what!

Thank you so much for this. I am in almost the exact same place and I so desperately needed the positive energy and chizzuk.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:

Wow thank you for the chizzuk. At times I am feeling depressed, sad and alone and other times I can see the hand of Hashem.

I am extremely grateful for all those that reached out to me to help via email. It has made a huge impact on my life and my week! I was able to go grocery shopping today and bh now have some food for the week. I am not sure how I will make it thru RH or Sukkos but hopefully I will get a positive response from food stamps. I check the mail every day anxiously for a letter from them. Keep Davening for me !!

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
Wow thank you for the chizzuk. At times I am feeling depressed, sad and alone and other times I can see the hand of Hashem.

I am extremely grateful for all those that reached out to me to help via email. It has made a huge impact on my life and my week! I was able to go grocery shopping today and bh now have some food for the week. I am not sure how I will make it thru RH or Sukkos but hopefully I will get a positive response from food stamps. I check the mail every day anxiously for a letter from them. Keep Davening for me !!

I just wanted to give e1 an update that I bh got $300 in SNAP benefits a month. I am so happy, I'm just not sure how to use it...

Do I just go into shop rite and buy groceries ?? Will everything work with this card ? Do I have to tell the checkout lady before ? Can I buy things like diapers and wipes on it ? Will the card reject those purchases?

ThNks for anyone who can help. I'm in nj btw

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
I just wanted to give e1 an update that I bh got $300 in SNAP benefits a month. I am so happy, I'm just not sure how to use it...

Do I just go into shop rite and buy groceries ?? Will everything work with this card ? Do I have to tell the checkout lady before ? Can I buy things like diapers and wipes on it ? Will the card reject those purchases?

ThNks for anyone who can help. I'm in nj btw

You can use it in any store but it is only for food not diapers unfortunately.

twogees

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:07 am
snap only works on food items. use at any store...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:54 am
amother wrote:

Im so happy for you!! (im first amother that responded)

do u want help figuring out a budget so u can use the money wisely?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Im so happy for you!! (im first amother that responded)

do u want help figuring out a budget so u can use the money wisely?

I want to make sure that I save enough of it that if I have a boy I can use it for food for a shalom zochur

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
I want to make sure that I save enough of it that if I have a boy I can use it for food for a shalom zochur

AFAIK it doesn't roll over. Whatever you don't use by the end of the month is gone.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 11:33 am
When I had SNAP a couple of years ago it did roll over if you did not use it all. Maybe it changed since then?

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 11:35 am
No personal knowledge of SNAP here but if it doesn't roll over, buy extra dry ingredients that store well. Stuff you would need anyways so next month is a little easier.
Can you coupon shop with SNAP?
Shop with sales.
Dry beans are cheaper than canned. Figure out the cheapest per unit cost on everything and where to buy it.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:14 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
AFAIK it doesn't roll over. Whatever you don't use by the end of the month is gone.

According to the pamphlet I received from nj SNAP it Does roll over.

Can anyone else confirm ?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
According to the pamphlet I received from nj SNAP it Does roll over.

Can anyone else confirm ?

When I was on food stamps ten years ago , it did roll over

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:

I am seriously happy that you received benefits. It sounds like you need them.

But ... and not to be mean .... you said that you have bills piling up, and that you've been living on cereal and PBJ. Seriously, forget about a shalom zochur. Go out and buy yourself some food. You need the nutrition. Your family needs the nutrition.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
I am seriously happy that you received benefits. It sounds like you need them.

But ... and not to be mean .... you said that you have bills piling up, and that you've been living on cereal and PBJ. Seriously, forget about a shalom zochur. Go out and buy yourself some food. You need the nutrition. Your family needs the nutrition.

if she budgets properly, $300 a month is enough for plenty of fresh healthy food choices AND money to host a shalom zachor. (you dont need to make a fancy shalom zachor, but good for op that shes thinking about the future and not intent on using it all up because its there

Most of our meals are protein(chicken, fish) and fresh veggies, and our monthly food bill is way under $200.

op, shop smart. if u plan your menu, your less likely to buy more and less will go to waste.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
if she budgets properly, $300 a month is enough for plenty of fresh healthy food choices AND money to host a shalom zachor. (you dont need to make a fancy shalom zachor, but good for op that shes thinking about the future and not intent on using it all up because its there

Most of our meals are protein(chicken, fish) and fresh veggies, and our monthly food bill is way under $200.

op, shop smart. if u plan your menu, your less likely to buy more and less will go to waste.

Thank you for this. I plan on doing just that. I think 300 should be more then enough for us since I am still getting some fruits and veggies, milk, cheese and bread from Wic

I just don't want to be stuck if I have a boy and no money for a shalom zachor.

Is all alcoholic fotbidden on snap ? Wine included ?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for this. I plan on doing just that. I think 300 should be more then enough for us since I am still getting some fruits and veggies, milk, cheese and bread from Wic

I just don't want to be stuck if I have a boy and no money for a shalom zachor.

Is all alcoholic fotbidden on snap ? Wine included ?

if your also getting wic, you can definitely eat healthily and save.
iirc they dont pay for alcohol.
what kind of shalom zachor would u make? r u thinking about cost of bris, too?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
if your also getting wic, you can definitely eat healthily and save.
iirc they dont pay for alcohol.
what kind of shalom zachor would u make? r u thinking about cost of bris, too?

Yes I'm scared about a bris. How would I pay for a mohel ?! And caterer ? I wouldn't be able to do it myself for a number of reasons.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 2:46 pm
Don't worry about a mohel, I know a mohel who doesn't charge a penny, and many of the other mohalim do the same. Let me know if you need contact info.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:09 pm
We had a bris and we had a mohel who didn't charge. I made it in my house so it would be small but the I will say the food was expensive.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics