Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
What I learned from raising fish for food.
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:03 am
rowo wrote:
Reminds me of a story of the Baal Shem tov (I think)
after he passed away another shochet took over his shchita post.
On seeing the new shochet in action one of the workers said he wasn't doing it correctly. The shochet was confused because he was certain he knew what to do correctly.
The worker explained, before shechting each animal the Baal Shem tov would cry.

I love this anecdote, we are allowed to eat animals and we are told the correct way to do it. But we are still taking another life

If you can or anyone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:17 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If you can or anyone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

I doubt there is anyone still around from that time period to confirm this. Wink

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:00 am
guppies are kosher?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:21 am
Mama Bear wrote:
guppies are kosher?

They have fins and scales, no?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:24 am
Chani, I love how you gave your fish a funeral. We had fish at one point and I can't imagine eating something I'd fed.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 1:18 pm
Iymnok wrote:
)the nest must be in a Hefner location.

I'm pretty sure that only applies to "bunnies". Wink

(Some days, I really love autocorrect! LOL )

Undefined

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 1:37 pm
Chani8 I don't know why but reading your story made me cry. I really think if we all became attached to and care for any living thing we couldn't harm it nonetheless eat it. Yet people still seem to hurt each other sometimes. I'm also extremely impressed that you were able to do this project, go you!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 11:01 pm
We've eaten a pet goat. Delicious. This year for kapparos DH is planning to use the chicken he brought home last year (from the communal kapparos) and raised. We enjoy raising the animals but you can't get sentimental. Pets are not children.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 11:08 pm
I can't be vegan, so I just try not to think about the adorable kind-eyed lamb or the frisky happy fishy or the cow with personality that had to die so I could eat it.

But ideally everyone should be vegan...

yogabird

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:33 am
Chani8, is it really possible to be keto/paleo and vegan or even just vegetarian at the same time?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:37 am
amother wrote:
We've eaten a pet goat. Delicious. This year for kapparos DH is planning to use the chicken he brought home last year (from the communal kapparos) and raised. We enjoy raising the animals but you can't get sentimental. Pets are not children.

My mom used to raise chickens. She had a dark sense of humor. She named them Fricassee, Drumstick, Parmesan, Stir Fry, etc. The rooster was named Colonel Sanders. LOL

Sadly, one night a bunch of raccoons got them, so we never had to test ourselves regarding whether or not we would eat them. We did have some really good eggs for a while, though.

chani8

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:18 am
rowo wrote:
Reminds me of a story of the Baal Shem tov (I think)
after he passed away another shochet took over his shchita post.
On seeing the new shochet in action one of the workers said he wasn't doing it correctly. The shochet was confused because he was certain he knew what to do correctly.
The worker explained, before shechting each animal the Baal Shem tov would cry.

I love this anecdote, we are allowed to eat animals and we are told the correct way to do it. But we are still taking another life

Beautiful! Exactly spot on to what I learned from raising fish and quail.

chani8

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:34 am
Just want to mention that while shiluach haken entails 'coming upon a nest', anyone with pet birds will know that the middos we learn from that mitzva is applicable to even pet birds. For example, parakeets and lovebirds get very upset when anyone comes near their nest. It is a chessed to chase them off whenever one needs to manipulate the nest. Quail, on the other hand, and as far as I've observed, dont sit on their eggs, and seem rather absent minded about where they lay their eggs. But in case they are watching and in order to minimize their distress, I do distract them before picking up the eggs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics