Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hand hurting from writing

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:31 pm
My third grader is coming home very sad that his hand/wrist are hurting from all the writing in school. He never mentioned this till now. Do you think it's an OT problem?

cm

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:36 pm
Is he learning cursive in school this year? He may be trying so hard to do the new skills, or squeezing his pencil tighter, or something (obviously I'm not an OT).

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 11:53 pm
OT here. Definitely could be an OT issue. I would have him checked out. Writing demands will only increase in the coming years, so best to address it as soon as possible.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:27 am
Do you know how to eat with chopsticks? I taught DD, and once she started using them, her fine motor control improved immensely, and so did her handwriting.

Chopsticks can be a lot of fun to play with. Start having him pick up cotton balls and put them from one bowl into another, and work your way up to different objects. Let him try to eat anything he wants with them, whenever he wants. Potato chips, noodles, ice cream, it's all good!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you know how to eat with chopsticks? I taught DD, and once she started using them, her fine motor control improved immensely, and so did her handwriting.

Chopsticks can be a lot of fun to play with. Start having him pick up cotton balls and put them from one bowl into another, and work your way up to different objects. Let him try to eat anything he wants with them, whenever he wants. Potato chips, noodles, ice cream, it's all good!

Other hand strengthening exercises are, picking up beads or buttons with tweezers, help carry in the groceries, wheelbarrow walking.
In the Israeli ganim they do lots of exercises and games like this to prepare for kita alef.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children