Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO of someone to do hmk with my sons

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:19 pm
My sons have been going to sleep really late because I can't seem to get them into bed before 9:00. We usually don't start homework until 7:00 and it takes really long. Both boys have colds and coughs for weeks already. I think they can't get rid of it, because of lack of sleep. If anyone knows of any high school boys or girls who would be interested in the job, please let me know. It doesn't need to be high school, it can be anyone but I'm not looking to pay more than $30 an hour. Thanks!

(I'm in Brooklyn)

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:12 pm
op, is starting homework earlier an option? try to fit it in when they get home from school. it takes getting used to, but it can be done. how present do you have to be for hw?

I suggest you start a policy that any homework not done by bedtime will just not be done. write notes to the teachers. your children's health comes before homework.

edited to add that I don't know anyone specific to do hw with your sons, but you may want to call touro college and ask if they can place an ad for you on the student lounge bulletin board.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:18 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
op, is starting homework earlier an option? try to fit it in when they get home from school. it takes getting used to, but it can be done. how present do you have to be for hw?

I suggest you start a policy that any homework not done by bedtime will just not be done. write notes to the teachers. your children's health comes before homework.

edited to add that I don't know anyone specific to do hw with your sons, but you may want to call touro college and ask if they can place an ad for you on the student lounge bulletin board.

Starting homework earlier is not working. They get home 5:30.
5:30-6:00 is dinner and clean up
6:00-6:45 is baby's bath time and bed time
6:45-7:00 I need to breathe and go to the bathroom
7:00-9:00 homework, bath time, bed time

The problem is, they don't go to sleep. Everyone is so riled up from an exhausting and often frustrating evening. Especially me.

I need to be present or they won't do it. If I higher someone that can start hmk at 6:15, things should go more smoothly.

Thanks for the touro idea. Will look into it.

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:25 pm
Im with you mommy3b2c

Working on homework right now
(Taking a one minute breather)

What do schools expect??
Time for a mass protest from frustrated moms.

Twisted Evil

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:27 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Starting homework earlier is not working. They get home 5:30.
5:30-6:00 is dinner and clean up
6:00-6:45 is baby's bath time and bed time
6:45-7:00 I need to breathe and go to the bathroom
7:00-9:00 homework, bath time, bed time

The problem is, they don't go to sleep. Everyone is so riled up from an exhausting and often frustrating evening. Especially me.

I need to be present or they won't do it. If I higher someone that can start hmk at 6:15, things should go more smoothly.

Thanks for the touro idea. Will look into it.

sounds like my schedule, lol. they get home 5:30, then supper. I tell them to do their homework while I bathe the youngest, but it doesn't always work. it is getting better. it helps that they have their own rooms now, so I insist they go into their own rooms to avoid distracting each other. and I've banned toys and large quantities of books from their rooms, so they don't have much distraction. they each have a timer to encourage fast work. if your boys could do a portion of their work on their own during bath time/bedtime for baby, you'd feel better. do they have nightly reading homework? offer an incentive for them to do their homework on their own. if you're willing to pay someone anyway, consider offering a cash prize for anyone who does his homework independently for a week.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:46 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
sounds like my schedule, lol. they get home 5:30, then supper. I tell them to do their homework while I bathe the youngest, but it doesn't always work. it is getting better. it helps that they have their own rooms now, so I insist they go into their own rooms to avoid distracting each other. and I've banned toys and large quantities of books from their rooms, so they don't have much distraction. they each have a timer to encourage fast work. if your boys could do a portion of their work on their own during bath time/bedtime for baby, you'd feel better. do they have nightly reading homework? offer an incentive for them to do their homework on their own. if you're willing to pay someone anyway, consider offering a cash prize for anyone who does his homework independently for a week.

Lol! I wish prizes and cash and charts and candies would work!!! My oldest is not that bad, but my 7 year old is just too impulsive to actually connect his actions with the outcomes of his actions, which leads to disastrous results and one super frustrated mommy! The more frustrated I get, the more he senses it. He spends the evenings ripping my heart out and stomping on it over and over again.

Ironically, (and thankfully), my night went much better tonight. 7 year old is sleeping, and 9 yr old is quiet. What helped was that I actually did get my oldest started at homework while the baby was getting his bath, and my second was working with his behavioral therapist. we even got story time tonight, something that hasn't happened in a while.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:48 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Lol! I wish prizes and cash and charts and candies would work!!! My oldest is not that bad, but my 7 year old is just too impulsive to actually connect his actions with the outcomes of his actions, which leads to disastrous results and one super frustrated mommy! The more frustrated I get, the more he senses it. He spends the evenings ripping my heart out and stomping on it over and over again.

Ironically, (and thankfully), my night went much better tonight. 7 year old is sleeping, and 9 yr old is quiet. What helped was that I actually did get my oldest started at homework while the baby was getting his bath, and my second was working with his behavioral therapist. we even got story time tonight, something that hasn't happened in a while.

glad your evening went ok. I hope you find a homework helper soon.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 10:17 pm
gold21 wrote:
Im with you mommy3b2c

Working on homework right now
(Taking a one minute breather)

What do schools expect??
Time for a mass protest from frustrated moms.

Twisted Evil

Count me in for the protest! Twisted Evil

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 10:19 pm
I already called a local high school to request chesed hours from their chesed program, just to help with homework. Waiting to hear back.

Also, when too much homework is given, I write a note explaining that it was too much homework so my child did not complete it, please call me with any questions. Tongue Out

Good Luck!

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 1:23 am
ra_mom wrote:
Count me in for the protest! Twisted Evil

Lol ra-mom!

It's ridiculous!

We literally need to march in front of Torah Umesorah with banners...

It's so stressful

Whew

(Didn't notice your post til now)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:53 am
It's time to tell teachers you already did your own hw... seriously I don't get countries where parents have to handle that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children