Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Husband going to Uman
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:05 am
I just want to add that Uman Rosh Hashana is just but one of the main tenants of Breslov, albeit a big one and well known. Often, Breslover chassidim are "lone wolfs", unless in Israel, typically with out a chevra. When we lived in NY, DH was fortunate to have a small chevra of Breslovers, but I think its typically not the case. I may be wrong. Also, its not the time to just be "with a dead rebbe" for lack of a better term. Breslov is rich with Rabbis, manhigim, to lead the way for chassidim. Every Breslover (should) have their own Breslov rav - ours and many others may live in Israel. So Uman is the time to get chizuk from your Rav, and from all of the Breslovers who are there. Its not like most other walks of Chassidish life in America where you have a huge shul of people just like you. Often we are mocked and put down. Fine, Lakewooders, kollel people, Satmar, Lubavitch also are, I guess we are in good company. But let us have this ONE THING, please. Let us send our husbands for a few days of chizuk and tefillah, and teshuvah to last the whole year.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:19 am
What I don't get is all the non-Breslover men who have been going in more recent years...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:23 am
pause wrote:
What I don't get is all the non-Breslover men who have been going in more recent years...

Some go for the wrong reasons. Many others learn Rebbe Nachman's seforim and feel connected to his derech and want to be part of it on Rosh Hashana.

Breslov is not like many other chassiduses today. It has nothing to do with levush, and many Breslovers can learn at BMG, Satmar, etc. and daven in different shuls and still be Breslov. One can look satmar, litvish, MO, and still be Breslov.

The point is that Rebbe Nachman taught a way to be close to Hashem and do avodas Hashem. Those who do this are Breslov, none of the externals matter.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:33 am
pause wrote:

It's not just recent years... it's at least since I'm a young child...

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
Yes, a planeload of 500 passengers scheduled to go tonight on a charter flight by DOALL Travel ,to Uman, has been cancelled!!! great for all wives and children to have a father and husband to share ,this ROSH HASHANA!!!!!

Hashem is sending a clear message, Fathers and Husbands need to spend Yomtov at home with their family. That is spirituality...going to shul with your children, Making seudas with your family!!!!

Wasn't this flight rescheduled?

I know some people on it and they are all still going.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Some go for the wrong reasons. Many others learn Rebbe Nachman's seforim and feel connected to his derech and want to be part of it on Rosh Hashana.

Breslov is not like many other chassiduses today. It has nothing to do with levush, and many Breslovers can learn at BMG, Satmar, etc. and daven in different shuls and still be Breslov. One can look satmar, litvish, MO, and still be Breslov.

The point is that Rebbe Nachman taught a way to be close to Hashem and do avodas Hashem. Those who do this are Breslov, none of the externals matter.
I know all that. I'm not talking levush. I'm talking specifically people who are no way Breslov, don't learn breslov seforim, etc. But do it just because it became the thing to do: RH in Uman, Sukkos in Yerushalayim, Simchas Torah in Williamsburg, midwinter in Miami, a Shabbas with Toldos Avraham Yitzchak Rebbe, Shavuos in BP... And I'm talking about people who aren't rich.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:07 am
watergirl wrote:
I just want to add that Uman Rosh Hashana is just but one of the main tenants of Breslov, albeit a big one and well known. Often, Breslover chassidim are "lone wolfs", unless in Israel, typically with out a chevra. When we lived in NY, DH was fortunate to have a small chevra of Breslovers, but I think its typically not the case. I may be wrong. Also, its not the time to just be "with a dead rebbe" for lack of a better term. Breslov is rich with Rabbis, manhigim, to lead the way for chassidim. Every Breslover (should) have their own Breslov rav - ours and many others may live in Israel. So Uman is the time to get chizuk from your Rav, and from all of the Breslovers who are there. Its not like most other walks of Chassidish life in America where you have a huge shul of people just like you. Often we are mocked and put down. Fine, Lakewooders, kollel people, Satmar, Lubavitch also are, I guess we are in good company. But let us have this ONE THING, please. Let us send our husbands for a few days of chizuk and tefillah, and teshuvah to last the whole year.

Except I know many many many guys who are going this year and non of them are Breslov or even close to Breslov.

In late it has become a "thing" to go.
My dh told me last night he is not surprised about someone he heard of going because it is like THE thing. EVERYONE goes. It is the NORMAL thing. Like Ger go to Yerushalayim to the Rebbe and Chabad goes to 770, basically everyone else goes to Uman.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:38 pm
Oh, and how can I forget from my list Lag Ba'omer in Meron. Anyone who isn't even someone goes...

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:47 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Except I know many many many guys who are going this year and non of them are Breslov or even close to Breslov.

In late it has become a "thing" to go.
My dh told me last night he is not surprised about someone he heard of going because it is like THE thing. EVERYONE goes. It is the NORMAL thing. Like Ger go to Yerushalayim to the Rebbe and Chabad goes to 770, basically everyone else goes to Uman.

Could you explain what you mean by everyone?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:51 pm
pause wrote:
Oh, and how can I forget from my list Lag Ba'omer in Meron. Anyone who isn't even someone goes...

And how would you describe the people who don't go?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:30 pm
Another plane was just canceled to uman.

Many people are saying its a sign the men should stay home.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:
Another plane was just canceled to uman.

Many people are saying its a sign the men should stay home.

And another flight going to Eretz Yisroel filled with families going for yom tov was also canceled.

Btw, many people say there is no G-d. Many people say that one should blow themselves up for Allah. Many people say lots of things, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

According to the Rambam, I believe, taking events as 'signs from heaven' is superstitious.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:46 pm
I wonder why women feel the need to hate on other women whose husbands make the sacrifice of a comfortable Yom Tov at home to go to Uman for RH. These are the same women who complain when their husband comes back to the country on Thursday instead of Friday, because they won't be able to sit in the circle under the tree. For some reason, hundreds of women being all alone in the country with their kids throughout the week is ok, but men going to Uman for RH is just something they can't swallow.

Personally, it is my personal treat that my husband can make the trip for us. I see it as winning the lottery in the blessing of the Rebbe, and I see my husband's trip as a trip to pick up the lottery winnings. It's all about perspective.

And finally, if you're really worried about a friend or sister whose husband went to Uman, maybe offer to help her. Don't shun her for the sacrifice she herself has made as well.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:49 pm
I read something cute online somewhere today ...
Elul stand s for Ima Levad V'Abba LeUman

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
I read something cute online somewhere today ...
Elul stand s for Ima Levad V'Abba LeUman

Oh. How, um, funny.

And what is it based on?

hello3

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:24 pm
Another rh loner. I invited a divorced friend with her baby and we're eating out some meals.
The flight that was cancelled isn't a siman from shamayim to stay home but rather "menios" - in the breslev terminology.
P.s a lot of ppl got on to different flights.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
Oh. How, um, funny.

And what is it based on?

It's based on the letters of the alphabet. תן חיוך , as the Breslovers say.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 12:49 am
amother wrote:
Yes, a planeload of 500 passengers scheduled to go tonight on a charter flight by DOALL Travel ,to Uman, has been cancelled!!! great for all wives and children to have a father and husband to share ,this ROSH HASHANA!!!!!

Hashem is sending a clear message, Fathers and Husbands need to spend Yomtov at home with their family. That is spirituality...going to shul with your children, Making seudas with your family!!!!

I wish my husbands plane was cancelled I asked hashem many time to do it for me I guess someones wife prayed better than me

Studious

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 1:47 am
Just wondering why the opposite isn't imaginable. The whole family sacrificing so that a woman would go on a spiritual journey on one of the hagim.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 3:37 am
amother wrote:
According to the Rambam, I believe, taking events as 'signs from heaven' is superstitious.

Rambam also was against visiting graves (from the context, possibly only graves of tzaddikim) Hilchot Avel 4:4
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur