Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
How do I cook brisket strips?

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 1:13 pm
Looking for advice please. I dont often cook meat. The cut of meat that I usually buy, deckel roast, was not available.
Instead I bought brisket strips - two thick pieces of brisket.
How should I cook it?
I usually do my deckel in the oven with lots of onions, garlic and spices, it cooks for a few hours. Can I do the brisket in a similar style?
TIA

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 2:14 pm
Yes

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:47 pm
Thanks tichel lady, yes to what? that I can cook it the same way as I usually cook my deckel roast? Thanks for responding

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:11 pm
boysrus wrote:
Thanks tichel lady, yes to what? that I can cook it the same way as I usually cook my deckel roast? Thanks for responding

Yes same method, low and slow until soft

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:12 pm
Just bought one of these also- what temp do you cook it at and for how long?

boysrus

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:41 pm
so to be honest, it didnt come out anywhere near as well as my deckel roast usually does. It was much drier, not as flavorful. I guess the fattier cuts are easier to keep moist.
So Im not sure how to advise you sorry.
maybe I should have added some red wine for flavor... if I ever buy brisket strips again I will do that.

I cooked it at 425 for 20 mins, then 325 for about 2 hrs. If that helps at all.

chicco

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 4:51 am
I've had a lot of success for brisket strips in the crockpot. I put it in with mustard, honey, a couple of splashes of soy sauce, and a couple more of apple cider vinegar and some crushed garlic. I leave it for about 6-7 hours and then I shred it.

Not a lot of work, yummy results.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 5:22 am
chicco wrote:
I've had a lot of success for brisket strips in the crockpot. I put it in with mustard, honey, a couple of splashes of soy sauce, and a couple more of apple cider vinegar and some crushed garlic. I leave it for about 6-7 hours and then I shred it.

Not a lot of work, yummy results.

This sounds really good, can you please tell me how you serve shredded brisket? I've never done that before and I'm curious.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 7:53 am
boysrus wrote:
so to be honest, it didnt come out anywhere near as well as my deckel roast usually does. It was much drier, not as flavorful. I guess the fattier cuts are easier to keep moist.
So Im not sure how to advise you sorry.
maybe I should have added some red wine for flavor... if I ever buy brisket strips again I will do that.

I cooked it at 425 for 20 mins, then 325 for about 2 hrs. If that helps at all.

Thanks for the heads up!
Will try the crockpot idea!!!

chicco

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 11:21 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
This sounds really good, can you please tell me how you serve shredded brisket? I've never done that before and I'm curious.

I stick it in a dish Smile

We love it on or with salad. With potatoes, farfel... just like any other meat. It is not especially saucy, so I wouldn't necessarily go the sandwich route, but I guess that is also an option.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus