Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Won't stop talking!
Previous  1  2

smily

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 12:29 pm
Gray
What you wrote is amazing

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 5:21 am
Thanks smily!

Op, if you're sons problems stem from his anxiety, then I recommend talking to a psychologist about how to handle him and his anxiety better, and bringing him for therapy as well - if not, his anxiety and behavior in general will only get worse and not better. The sooner you get him help, the less he has to suffer and the less you have to suffer too! As a longtime sufferer of anxiety, I wish my parents had gotten me help at age 4, instead of when I was in elementary school - would have made an enormous difference in my life. Anxiety is not something you can treat on your own, but the earlier it's dealt with, the better it is.

In the meantime, be firm in a loving way (boundaries and rules do help create a sense of security for an anxious child), and give your child one-on-one attention every day. For an anxious child especially (though true for all young children), their sense of security comes from their parents, so the more you try to detach and force independence, the more anxious he'll be. Some professional guidelines on dealing with his anxiety will make all the difference though.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 10:42 am
Gray, I agree with you, but through what avenue? He won't qualify for services through CPSE, and so far one Social Worker I spoke to at the school said that she's only allowed to work with kids 5+ she said that there MIGHT be another one through the DOE for the pre-k later this year. He's very shy "at times"--mostly around strangers, but otherwise very outgoing.

It's like he constantly needs attention. R"H was fun b/c everytime I started davening or woud pick up a book to read, he NEEDED my attention--mostly in inappropriate ways--but when I wasn't davening/reading he managed to play nicely with his brother. At the one meal we had guests he wouldn't stop singing in this annoying voice, wouldn't let us have a conversation with the guest.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:29 pm
Honestly, you may have to find a child psychologist / psychiatrist privately. I know it's expensive, but it's worth it - my parents waited until I was totally breaking down before doing this (I was 6 and diagnosed with depression, because my issues had gone untreated until then). He may also not need long-term therapy, and temporairly paying a lot. Insurance may or may not cover part of the cost. Start by asking your pediatrician who they can recommend, they are usually the best first resource.

Also, I totally sympathize with them being extra annoying on yom tov. Every time I tried to daven, my daughter would not leave me alone it was just "what are you doing? what are you doing? what are you doing?" over and over (and believe me, she knew what I was doing). At least, she had cousins to play with, which kept her busy for large chunks of time. Play dates are very useful!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers