Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tzedaka Direct (without a middle-man)

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 5:57 am
I've been sitting with my desperate financial situation.

Without going into details...

I often wonder about those who give with enthusiasm and wide hearts to organizations....

I wish that people would eliminate the middleman- the organization- and give directly to the needy. I understand practically it's not doable for many people and for various reasons...

However, in my instance.....I'm your neighbor next door, or your neighbor down the block, or across the street. If you are so inclined, please slip an envelope under my door. Whether it be cash or a gift card for necessities, your chessed is so impactful when it comes directly to me.

Please be kind. I'm speaking from a place of pain. People donate to orgs, yet they generally don't see the actual individuals who are in pain and in need.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 7:56 am
OP, do your neighbors know that you are suffering financially? I have this feeling that most people dont usually know the financial standings of their neighbors.
Personally, I dont know the financial standings of my neighbors. At all, so we give our tzedaka to a man who collects money for chickens to be given to the families in financial distress, for chagim, shabbatot.
But unless you are 100% sure that your neighbors know, how would they know that you would want them to help you this way?
Hugs. Im sure it is very tough.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 8:47 am
There are many reasons this might be so: to avoid embarrassing a person in need, not being sure if a particular person could benefit from tzedaka, sometimes just not knowing their story enough to know that if you give to this person then the money will go to necessities, and other reasons.
However I absolutely agree with you. I often think the same thing. There is one person I have offered several times and sometimes he takes and sometimes not but I am never sure if I am doing the right thing. I have a feeling he says no to me from embarrassment but then accepts from another local tzedaka. And that is fine.

I hope Hashem hears your prayers and you find yourself in a better situation in this new year.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 9:46 am
I definitely like to give directly, and I do give everyone who asks. I also give my relative that I know needs tzedakah. Other then that, how am I supposed to know who needs?. I've given to plenty from this site, but that's because they said they needed. If you need anything, clothing, food, diapers, or anything else, please let me know.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 12:16 pm
There's also the tax implications. I can donate $140 to the Rabbi's discretionary fund for him to help needy individuals in the community or give $100 myself directly. Both cost me the same amount.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 1:53 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I definitely like to give directly, and I do give everyone who asks. I also give my relative that I know needs tzedakah. Other then that, how am I supposed to know who needs?. I've given to plenty from this site, but that's because they said they needed. If you need anything, clothing, food, diapers, or anything else, please let me know.

Me too. I have a first cousin in a very bad financial state, and we have sent her money directly in the past, but she is very embarrassed and does not want to accept it. Another cousin arranged for us to send money to pay for her child's education in a special yeshiva that caters to kids with learning disabilities. But we would not want to send her money directly and cause her pain, and I don't want her to feel bad or indebted to us in any way when we see each other.

ROFL

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 5:54 pm
How are we supposed to know if you are our neighbor?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics