Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Say something/ Don't say something?

kelsorino

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:25 pm
B"H I am moving. My living conditions have been less than great for the past 2 years.

I live in a basement and there has been leaks so there has been mold. The sheet rock is moldy in places and we still have drips some times. Our landlords don't think this is a problem or unhealthy. My husband just dropped off bags of clothing at the dry cleaner that he found is covered in mold.

We have recently had mice and squirrels (yes a squirrel) but no exterminator was called.

My husband has a hard time breathing in our apartment and I am just so glad that we found somewhere to go and we are moving!!!! Here is the question:

I see people coming to look at the apartment all the time and I just feel so bad having someone come live here! I decided not to say something because if the next tenant complains maybe they will fix it but now my friends sister just came to look at it and she really likes it and is coming back to see it again.

What is the halacha here in regard to lashon hara? I really like my landlords. They are sweet and we became good friends with them and I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt them but I also don't want someone to move in and then the ceiling starts leaking or etc and we didn't say anything? I don't want to bother a Rav about this erev R"H but what do you think I should do?

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:28 pm
Ugh, how annoying.

I think this is worth asking a shaila.

If you haven't done so, I'd also suggest you consider a strongly worded letter to the landlord, saying you really like them, but felt that they brushed off a serious issue here, and something really needs to be done.

precious

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:29 pm
I think you should say something, and give them the chance to negotiate fixing things before moving in. It's so not fair to the people moving in.

kelsorino

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:33 pm
imasinger wrote:
Ugh, how annoying.

I think this is worth asking a shaila.

If you haven't done so, I'd also suggest you consider a strongly worded letter to the landlord, saying you really like them, but felt that they brushed off a serious issue here, and something really needs to be done.

We have said something to them many times they really don't think it is a problem. They said that even if there is mold in the walls its not going to effect anyone living there and that the mold on the cloths is unrelated (the leak was in the closet where there is mold).

kelsorino

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:36 pm
precious wrote:
I think you should say something, and give them the chance to negotiate fixing things before moving in. It's so not fair to the people moving in.

I just found out they have a baby so I am going to say something to them. But I still feel bad for everyone else coming to look at it. I feel like its mean that just because I know you I will tell you but everyone else too bad :-(.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:44 pm
I would definitely say something. It's not a shidduch... It's an apartment. Mold is a big deal and I would be livid of the previous tenant didn't warn me

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:48 pm
kelsorino wrote:
We have said something to them many times they really don't think it is a problem. They said that even if there is mold in the walls its not going to effect anyone living there and that the mold on the cloths is unrelated (the leak was in the closet where there is mold).

Have you given them factual information?

Here is a good link.
http://www.realtor.org/realtor.....ldfaq

Seas

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:51 pm
There's a good possibility there's a chiyuv to say something. Ask a shaaloh.

rachel6543

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:53 pm
I'm sorry to say, but your landlords are not nice people and are iresponsible landlords. They are just plain wrong to think mold is not healthy and won't hurt anyone. Mold can definitely make people sick. See link by the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm

I personally would report the unsanitary living conditions to you local authorities (whoever is responsible for this in your city) and I would personally warn potential renters. Your landlords are being irresponsible and are breaking the law and putting people's health at risk because they are too cheap to correct the water leaks and mold issues.

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:54 pm
I asked a shayla and was told we had to tell potential tennants . We had a serious leak and mold issues in one of the bedrooms that the landlord kept saying he would fix so after a year we had enough of empty promises and left and he didn't find anyone till well after we left and covered the mold up with paint.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 11:00 pm
of course say something! I moved because of a similar situation. I warned every person that came to see it. I also warned them that although my landlord are frum they are very difficult ppl to deal with, for example they blamed things on me that broke that had nothing to do with me like old piping, they were causing me so much stress. Dont you wish someone had warned you before you moved?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette