Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Question about marriages between litvish girl and chassid?
Previous  1  2

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 8:11 am
essie14 wrote:
I know several couples where the chattan was from a chassidish family and dressed in the "levush" for the wedding but he wasn't really in same genre as his parents and he married a girl from a non chassidish family. It happens quite often and can make the photos look funny to you, but usually these guys never put on streimel again.

People shouldn't draw conclusions from wedding pics. People at their weddings do things for the sake of their relatives that they have no intention of doing ever again. I was shocked to see my dd's friend's wedding pics in which the chosson wore full Chassidish levush. From the engagement pics I had taken him to be a modern guy, striped shirt and all. So while he was from a Chassidish family and walked the walk at his wedding, he was obviously no longer identifying with that sect.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:56 am
I'm wondering why the OP is about "a girl with modern orthodox parents" but the title says "litvish girl". Or was the MO bride just a starting point for thinking about a litvish one?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
Were the boy's parents in the video? Were they chassidish?
There is a phenomenon of MO boys flipping out and becoming "chassidish."
They're usually more like yeshivish, but they wear the levush and they go to tisch.
There was a whole yeshiva in Israel for boys like this, but it closed due to lack of funding.

boys parents were chassidish. girls parents were not. girls mother even wore some sort of veil covering over her shaitel out of respect for the chassidish side

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:34 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm having this weird reaction where my first thought is that you saw a video that I also saw, but in this case, the Kallah is also Chassidish and it is only her father who has become more
modern. Do you want to name the photographer so this can be confirmed?

It doesn't look like kallah's mother is chassidish, and sisters of the kallah also don't look chassidish. photographer initals are ER

Maya

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
It doesn't look like kallah's mother is chassidish, and sisters of the kallah also don't look chassidish. photographer initals are ER

The photographer initials match the name I'm thinking of. At simchas, Chassidish women, especially ones who don't cover their sheitels, may come across as looking like anyone else. But maybe it is a different video.

Maya

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
boys parents were chassidish. girls parents were not. girls mother even wore some sort of veil covering over her shaitel out of respect for the chassidish side

Many Chassidish women cover their sheitels with a scarf for the chuppah. This is her own custom.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:28 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I'm wondering why the OP is about "a girl with modern orthodox parents" but the title says "litvish girl". Or was the MO bride just a starting point for thinking about a litvish one?

Litvish is the general category, like chassidish. Within litvis are subcategories like Modern Orthodox.

cnc

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:
Litvish is the general category, like chassidish. Within litvis are subcategories like Modern Orthodox.

Um. No.

pause

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
It's actually a separate category.

treestump

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:

You obviously aren't litvish or Modern Orthodox...

(The real meaning of litvish, btw, is having Lithuanian roots...)

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 6:13 pm
Why can't you be Litvish and MO? My family goes back to that part of Europe, and we have the customs and attitudes that characterized the Jews of Lithuania.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 6:27 pm
Litvish nowadays does have a much broader sense.

My grandparents are from Germany so technically we are yekkes, but we would still class ourselves as Litvish.

treestump

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
Why can't you be Litvish and MO? My family goes back to that part of Europe, and we have the customs and attitudes that characterized the Jews of Lithuania.

Well, you can be both, if you are talking about the original classification of litvish, but MO is definitely not a category of litvish.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:28 pm
modern orthodox is definitely not a category of chassidish, so it falls under litvish. Just like yeshivish is category under litvish, not under chassidish. Litvish just means you're not chassidish. And yes I am litvish. Within litvish you have yeshivish, modern yeshivish, modern orthodox machmir, modern orthodox liberal and more.

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
modern orthodox is definitely not a category of chassidish, so it falls under litvish. Just like yeshivish is category under litvish, not under chassidish. Litvish just means you're not chassidish. And yes I am litvish. Within litvish you have yeshivish, modern yeshivish, modern orthodox machmir, modern orthodox liberal and more.

This is too cute. Very Happy

Do you think that all Jews are either Chassidish or Litvish?

ETA
I just realized that my post may sound condescending, but that wasn't my intention!.
I just found the post funny...

Actually most of the MO people that I know (my cousins etc) have chassidish origins, so it may be more accurate to say that MO is a sub group of Chassidish...)

cm

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:57 pm
cnc wrote:
Um. No.

You took the words out of my mouth!

amother
Green

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:12 am
cnc wrote:
This is too cute. Very Happy

Do you think that all Jews are either Chassidish or Litvish?

ETA
I just realized that my post may sound condescending, but that wasn't my intention!.
I just found the post funny...

Actually most of the MO people that I know (my cousins etc) have chassidish origins, so it may be more accurate to say that MO is a sub group of Chassidish...)

technically you can also have sefardic as another category, although you can have chassidish people who are sefardic (rare), but you won't find anyone litvish who is sefardic by definition.
Litvish just tell you where you're from in Europe. you need subcategories to describe your religious level. I doubt chassidish people would classify themselves in the modern orthodox category, unless they were chassidish in the past, but then they wouldn't be called chassidish now. You can't be chassidish and modern orthodox at the same time. You can be litvish (from that part of europe) and then further characterize yourself in terms of religious observance. Maybe litvish and chassidsh are also not the same level of category because one describes a place and one describes a religious practice although most people use the term litvish to describe those who are ashkenazic but not chassidish.

cnc

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:28 am
amother wrote:
technically you can also have sefardic as another category, although you can have chassidish people who are sefardic (rare), but you won't find anyone litvish who is sefardic by definition.
Litvish just tell you where you're from in Europe. you need subcategories to describe your religious level. I doubt chassidish people would classify themselves in the modern orthodox category, unless they were chassidish in the past, but then they wouldn't be called chassidish now. You can't be chassidish and modern orthodox at the same time. You can be litvish (from that part of europe) and then further characterize yourself in terms of religious observance. Maybe litvish and chassidsh are also not the same level of category because one describes a place and one describes a religious practice although most people use the term litvish to describe those who are ashkenazic but not chassidish.

I get what you're saying but I think that in this day and age, Litvish is used to describe a culture as opposed to origins.

I can't think of any MO people that would describe themselves as Litvish.
I would be curious to hear from MO posters...

imasoftov

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:38 am
cnc wrote:
I can't think of any MO people that would describe themselves as Litvish.
I would be curious to hear from MO posters...

I am the poster who raised this point, we are MO, we don't describe ourselves as Litvish.

I am curious how many of the "most people" who green amother hears "use the term litvish to describe those who are ashkenazic but not chassidish" are MO
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics