Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are we poor?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 6:42 am
My DH consider us poor. We have what we need most of the time. But let say for the chagim its realky hard because meat is so expensive. What is the definition on poor these days? We want to buy a house but it will take a couple of years... he doesnt want a lot of children because we have hardly any money. Its not fair😢😢😢😢

5mom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 6:48 am
May you have a year of prosperity, and may you have the health and happiness to enjoy every bracha that comes your way.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 6:53 am
5mom wrote:
May you have a year of prosperity, and may you have the health and happiness to enjoy every bracha that comes your way.

Amen

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 6:55 am
Who is rich, he who is happy with his lot.
Be thankful your in a lot better place than most.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 7:22 am
I just came home from the store where I stood in front of the meat display trying to decide if I should buy meat... I came home with chicken instead.

But I'm not poor. If you have enough money for your needs, you are in a very good place... Yom tov is hard because it's crunch time, there are so many extra expenses. So it might be a bit tight Yom Tov time... but on an average day, if you have enough money to spend on all your necessities, (and perhaps a bit more for some breathing space) you're in a good place financially. Many middle class people have a hard time with all the extra expenses come Yom Tov too...

rachelbg

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 7:46 am
I don't consider myself poor, and we pretty much never buy meat bc of the expense. We're proud chicken eaters! And our weeknight meals are generally dairy or pareve.
Poor is a matter of perspective.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 8:21 am
A Yom Tov meal should be something that is special for you, that you like or don't have often. There is no rule that it has to be meat. This year there were no good sales on meat, and BH there are a lot if expenses right now, so we are having chicken. I went out of my way to make it special and enjoyable, and it will be because it is Lichavod Yom Tov.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
My DH consider us poor. We have what we need most of the time. But let say for the chagim its realky hard because meat is so expensive. What is the definition on poor these days? We want to buy a house but it will take a couple of years... he doesnt want a lot of children because we have hardly any money. Its not fair😢😢😢😢

I could have written this post. I don't consider us poor though. We just don't have a lot of money. And sometimes it's hard for us, and we don't get everything we want. But there are many so much poorer then we are. I just look at how people live in some other countries in HORRIBLE conditions and I am SO grateful for our one bedroom apartment even if it seems like everyone else is moving on into houses except for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics