Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
PSA - Two Tone Cake Recipe in Binah

debsey

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 11:27 pm
There was a recipe for Two-Tone Crumb cake in Binah recently. There must have been a misprint in the recipe, because my daughter made it and it came out terribly bitter. I looked at the receipe and it calls for 3 and a half tablespoons of baking powder. That's gotta be a misprint. Just in case someone was thinking of making it, you have to adjust the amount of baking powder.

workaholicmama

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 11:33 pm
Thank you. I did plan on making it this week(probably not tomorrow though...) did you contact the Binah office to hear what the recipe writer say?

debsey

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:56 am
No. My daughter is an 8th grader, she doesn't know enough about baking to realize that 3 TBSP of baking powder doesn't make sense. But the batter was completely gross so we didn't even bother baking it up. Didn't contact Binah yet, but I plan to after Y"T. That recipe sounded Yummy and I want the real measurements!

workaholicmama

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 4:56 am
Actually my 7 grade daughter made the chocolate fudge bundt from the same issue, and it flopped too... it needed much more than the recommended 50-60 min baking time. And still it didn't turn out nice. (It was eaten over shabbos to the last crumb, though) I told her the next time we will do it together so I can see if it was some mistake on her part or a faulty recipe. This daughter made challos this Friday and it came out beautiful and delicious Bh.(she just called me out of my home office to do hafroshos challa cause I told her too. But since she turned 12 this spring she's been doing hafroshos challa too when I was too busy)

Bored

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:43 pm
I made it. While not my favorite recipe of all times, it was fine. It wasn't bitter and I thought the amt of baking powder (soda?) was weird, but I followed the recipe. maybe your duaghter did s/th wrong?

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:13 pm
Bored wrote:
I made it. While not my favorite recipe of all times, it was fine. It wasn't bitter and I thought the amt of baking powder (soda?) was weird, but I followed the recipe. maybe your duaghter did s/th wrong?

That's interesting...
I would also assume that such a large quantity of baking powder or soda would make for a very bitter batter.

Bored

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:15 pm
It was a very large cake. Unless I measured wrong, it was fine

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:21 pm
Bored wrote:
It was a very large cake. Unless I measured wrong, it was fine

I misread and thought it was a bundt cake.

Bored

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:30 pm
it was. a very large, high bundt cake
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins