Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
I don't feel like making anything for after the fast

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:22 am
The fast ends in about half an hour and I haven't made anything. I'm not fasting since I'm a month and a half after birth and am nursing, but my husband and kids are. I just don't have any energy to make anything. I cooked for Rosh Hashana, exhausted myself serving meals and cleaning up for 2 days straight, barely slept at night because of housework and then being up with the baby, and was out for 4 hours today at an appointment for one of my kids, then went straight to work from there. I came home early because of the fast but haven't even been in the kitchen since then. I have a few minutes left to decide if I should put something up very quickly or let everyone fend for themselves. DH always tells me he doesn't need me to make anything, and he really means it, but the kids are definitely used to having a nice hot meal after the fast. They're BH polite enough that they won't complain, but I know they'll feel good if I make something.

But I really don't feel like it. I'm beat.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:27 am
Dh will be having the same pasta I made for the little kids. If you do pasta, to add sauce and cheese, throw it in the pan and call it ziti, it becomes a hot meal!
If not, they could nuke some leftovers.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:28 am
I think make something quick. Like eggs or noodles . Serve with bagels.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:37 am
How old are the kids? I happen to not be a great faster...but lucky for me, DD fasts well and is happy to whip up the after-fast stuff for the rest of us.....

cbg

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:38 am
I'm serving left overs from RH
A little of this and a little of that.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:43 am
Chayalle wrote:
How old are the kids? I happen to not be a great faster...but lucky for me, DD fasts well and is happy to whip up the after-fast stuff for the rest of us.....

12 and 14. And one is anaphylactic to dairy and fish, which is I think one of the reasons it takes so much out of me to cook after a fast. Nobody wants fleishigs on an empty stomach and I always have a hard time coming up with something to make.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:45 am
I always do simple things after a fast... Toast, spreads and pasta. No need to cook while fasting, especially right after cooking for Rosh Hashana...

water_bear88

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:47 am
Oy. If those are the only allergies, could you do bagels with egg salad or pitot with hummus and Israeli salad? Or even just fresh bread with leftovers?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 12:20 pm
I have allergies here too. I make a parve baked ziti with eggs instead if cheese. One big pot of pasta, most into the big pan, small pan that gets sauce and a bunch of beaten eggs. Cover, into the oven and done.

But twelve and fourteen year olds and can make themselves sandwiches and cereal, and your allergic kid can grab some leftovers from yom tov even if no one else wants. Growing up, there was never a served meal after the fast. We helped ourselves.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:

But twelve and fourteen year olds and can make themselves sandwiches and cereal, and your allergic kid can grab some leftovers from yom tov even if no one else wants. Growing up, there was never a served meal after the fast. We helped ourselves.

This is what ended up happening. I told them that I didn't make anything and they both said not to worry at all, they would fend for themselves. One made himself parve hot dogs and french fries and the allergic one had meat and potatoes from Rosh Hashana. No complaints B"H.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
This is what ended up happening. I told them that I didn't make anything and they both said not to worry at all, they would fend for themselves. One made himself parve hot dogs and french fries and the allergic one had meat and potatoes from Rosh Hashana. No complaints B"H.

Excellent. Sounds like you have raised some good kids, there.

vicki

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:

Ditto chayalle - I love your kids!!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:39 pm
vicki wrote:
Ditto chayalle - I love your kids!!!

BH I am very blessed.

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:59 pm
You are entitled to take a break. Your kids will learn that moms need a break too.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:16 pm
I'm not pregnant or nursing nor do I have kids at home to feed, and we're having leftovers from our non-fleishk YT meal. Why shouldn't your family?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not pregnant or nursing nor do I have kids at home to feed, and we're having leftovers from our non-fleishk YT meal. Why shouldn't your family?

We didn't have a non-fleishig YT meal.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 6:33 pm
I usually whip up omelets and serve with rolls and a fresh salad. I'm sure one teenager can fry up the eggs, the other chop the vegetables and 5 minutes later the meal is prepared.

ETA: I see they managed beautifully! So nice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note