Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Looking for shabbos guests - Lakewood

LO

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:20 pm
My husband and I are both baalei teshuvah and love having guests. We ended up in Lakewood for various reasons, in hearthstone area, and one of the big challenges for us here is that there is nobody to invite. Families don't generally eat out for tznius reasons and we have no family to invite....

Any suggestions re Baal teshuvah or regular yeshivos, in Lakewood or nearby, that would need shabbos placements? Any other suggestions on who we can talk to? It bothers me so much that my kids are growing up thinking that shabbos guests are a rarity....

Thanks in advance!!!!

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:16 pm
Sign up for Shabbat.com and try to find local guests to invite there. You could also call Oorah and see if they ever need hosting for Shabbatons. You could also try to find middle-aged (or older) couples, singles, widows, etc., who will be less likely to decline for tznius reasons.

Zehava

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:18 pm
Do you have sleeping room or only room for meals?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:18 pm
I'm sure there are plenty of bocherim from BMG or other yeshivas who'd be happy to eat family-style for a change rather than dining-hall style.

sourstix

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:59 pm
Maybe the local biker cholim knows of needy individuals. I know that biker cholim in Brooklyn does this not sure if they do that here give a call.

LO

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 6:05 pm
Thanks, I will look at those ideas. I do have sleeping room, BH.

Does anyone know of yeshivos or people close to the Hearthstone area that I could contact? In the local yeshivos I know of, the boys don't eat out....

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 6:24 pm
I live on the other side of lakewood (Brookhill) and my husband was inviting boys from a small local yeshiva for a while. They really appreciated it so they didn't have to eat yeshiva food. If you are looking for a chessed you can go that route but to be social I don't think hungry yeshiva boys would fulfill that need.

There really are people who need invitations. Call the rav of your shul for some names or the rebbetzin of a different shul nearby might be able to give suggestions.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 7:27 pm
I'm just thinking, how far do you live from Leisure Chateau? I know that people often want to spend Shabbos close to family members there. If you are in walking distance, maybe you could host family members of patients there.

You really have a beautiful attitude, OP.

LO

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 8:40 pm
Hmm, that's a great idea, Chayalle! I am very close to Leisure Chateau, so that might work....
I also hope to host people who come in for simchas in the area, so that is ok.

I am trying to figure out who we can host for meals - people that develop a kesher with, preferably, so that we can slowly build up a "surrogate" family for ourselves....

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 9:12 pm
LO wrote:
Families don't generally eat out for tznius reasons and we have no family to invite....

Not trying to derail the thread, or be rude, but I have never heard of this, can someone explain it to me please? Thanks

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 9:17 pm
Op, having lived in Lakewood and now an oot community I would like to let you know that almost all other communities faster lend themselves to the lifestyle you are looking for. Whatever for reasons for settling there may be , you will be exposed to a completely different Yiddishkeit elsewhere, perhaps the Yiddishkeit that initially drove you to become frum.

mommyla

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 9:29 pm
Hearthstone may not be the right place for you. Are you "stuck" there?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 9:43 pm
mommyla wrote:
Hearthstone may not be the right place for you. Are you "stuck" there?

Not the op, but what area would you think is better?

mommyla

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
Not the op, but what area would you think is better?

Chestnut and Raintree come to mind. In less yeshivish areas, families usually don't have a problem sharing meals with other families.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note