Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Does a women have to hear shofar?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 9:16 am
Does a woman have to hear shofar?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 9:19 am
the short answer is no.

I remember when one of my sisters lived in a walkup apartment and had two little ones, she asked R' Dovid Feinstein and he said she is not mechuyav to hear Shofar.

I missed hearing Shofar 18 years ago (!!!) as I was in labor with DD. DH asked me if I will go to shul, and I said everyone will hear ME if I go.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 9:48 am
Technically no, but women have taken it upon themselves to the point that it's more or less minhag. How do you approach minhagim in general? More importantly, wouldn't you want to start the year with a mitzvah? If you can't, you can't, but it's very nice to make the effort.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 9:57 am
In many cities there are men who will come to your home and blow it for you some time during the day. In some shuls they also blow additional kolos after davening is finished for women who couldn't be there for davening.

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 10:48 am
With all due respect, I don't think the answer is a simple "no". Ask a Rav, I think it's one of the more important mitzvos/minhagim (minhag has 2 meanings 1)like davening ma'ariv for men which is quasi-mitzvah 2) like eating cheesecake on shavuous--a nice thing to do for the chag.)

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 10:53 am
It might interepreted differently by different eidot, but we learned that "nashim kiblu al atzman", and was not to be taken lightly. I'm assuming we are not talking of a woman in the throes of labor.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 10:55 am
By us woman must hear shofer starting from a very young age. No matter if the child will actually hear or come to meet friends or do a tantrum. Now me with a newborn and then more young kids, this must happen but very difficult. We don't have men who can come to the house here.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 11:02 am
CYLOR. I had a R"H baby. We packed a shofar with us but my husband wasn't going to blow before he started walking back at 7:30 AM (no one walked to this hospital to blow).

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 12:18 pm
This is one of the few time related miztvos that women accepted. In many communities there is a special blowing for women. Go to Shul the end of Davening with the little kids and hear the Shofar then.

Women in labor or who just delivered are considered Choleh She'yesh bo Sakanah and is exempt from mitzvos so for them it is not obligatory for them to listen to the Shofar.

Can your DH borrow a Shofar and blow for you?

If these options are not feasible speak to a Rav what you should do as it is a very strong minhag for women to listen.

rfeig613

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 9:59 am
Short answer: No, but it's allowed and encouraged that a woman do so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics