Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this OCD??

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 2:33 pm
Please explain what this is called and how to treat this.
Examples of Symptoms:
-when we went for vaccines, hours later he said he thinks a piece of the needle stayed inside, he feels something in his arm.
-he heard about some news I n the city where some ppl were arrested for doing illegal business, he asked my husband about seven times if everything he does is legal.
-we schmooze about a kid who has a heart failure, and that kidfpundoutabput it when he coincidentally went to the doctor due to a headache, all of a sudden my son has a headache.
-he sees a kid in school with dandruffs, he comes home asks abut ten times to make sure I don't see any dandruffs on his scalp.

Is this normal kid imagination, or something deeper here?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 4:18 pm
It sounds like anxiety to me. My DD is the same way. I suggest you find him a therapist, to help him learn how to handle his worries.

"Parenting Your Anxious Child" is a great book for this, and has worksheets that are kid friendly. DD has used this book as a coping tool for grownup thoughts that are too big for her.

Just today, DD made scrambled eggs for herself. An hour later she had a stomach ache, and said "I hope I don't have salmonella!" I told her that since she hates runny eggs, that it's not very likely. By reasoning things out, she was able to convince herself that she does not have food poisoning, but probably just ate too fast. Still, she says that if she has a stomach ache in the morning, she wants to go to the doctor.

*sigh* Poor kiddo. Anxiety management is a full time job, and just when you think you've got it beat, life gives you something else scary to worry about.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 5:59 pm
It sounds like anxiety and OCD as well. Sounds a lot like me - I have a lot of health-related anxiety and accompanying OCD.

You should take him to a psychologist ASAP to deal with it. The earlier you deal with it, the less he'll suffer and the less you'll all suffer. And the sooner he'll be fine.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics