Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to get baby to sleep by herself!!!!

Ima2

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 4:48 am
my 6 month old has become very spoiled! she will only sleep if I am nursing or holding her!!! I used to get her to sleep either by rocking in my arms or by nursing, but was able to put her down in the crib to sleep for hrs. now she wakes up within mins of putting her down. I can't take it anymore!! how do I get her to stop!?

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:18 am
There are many good sleep books. It's worth looking in the library, and investing in owning one you like.

My favorite method is to put a baby in when they are just starting to drift, then keep a gentle hand on them (rub a back if they're a front sleeper) for about 5 minutes, then tiptoe out.

Some babies wake, at least a little. Give it 5 minutes to see if they settle themselves back down. If not, go back in and sing softly or just whisper "ssshhh", maybe while rubbing a back.

It takes a while to train them, but they eventually learn to go to sleep without being held or nursed.

jj1236

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 10:54 am
When my baby was around 4 months I started sleep training
I put her down when she was awake and she would cry and cry
I would go in every 5-10 minutes and talk to her and rub her back or sing. It took a while and I didn't think I would be able to stick with it but after a few weeks she still cries when I put her down but only 5 minutes tops and then sleeps.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:25 pm
We used "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Hismain suggestion is cry it out (which worked amazing for us), but he also explains other less intensive methods.

Most importantly, he gives a lot of tips for how, when, where, etc baby should sleep at every age. Even if you don't use his suggested cry it out, the info in the book is very helpful.

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
We used "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Hismain suggestion is cry it out (which worked amazing for us), but he also explains other less intensive methods.

Most importantly, he gives a lot of tips for how, when, where, etc baby should sleep at every age. Even if you don't use his suggested cry it out, the info in the book is very helpful.

we did this too. I recommend reading this book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics