Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO warm, good quality kids' coats

OutATowner

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 9:43 pm
I used to buy Landsend, but I was not happy with 2 coats I bought last year. They are durable, but not as warm as the past ones. Looked at LLBean and the reviews were similar- old coats were great, newer ones are not as good.
I would prefer coats that can last more than a year, like Landsend somehow stretched 2 sizes, but priority is warmth. Preferably longer too.
TIA!

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 9:52 pm
I've heard that J crew coats are very warm.
They're very expensive though. Try getting them on sale .

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 10:10 pm
Appaman Long Down Coats are very warm (80% duck feathers). Not cheap at all but keeps the kids nice and warm which is very important for us since we walk outdoors a lot.
Also the Gap Warmest Down coats (beware that the make Gap Warmest coats as well that are not Down).

OutATowner

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 10:24 pm
Thanks, I will look into the above!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 11:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Appaman Long Down Coats are very warm (80% duck feathers). Not cheap at all but keeps the kids nice and warm which is very important for us since we walk outdoors a lot.
Also the Gap Warmest Down coats (beware that the make Gap Warmest coats as well that are not Down).

Where can I purchase Appaman coats? Btw, if I'm not mistaken, don't these sell for about $100? If that's accurate, it's pretty competitive to other brands, especially since Gap's discount codes don't seem to work on outerwear. Also, lately I've been dissatisfied with Gap's coats quality. The hoods snap off easily, and the quality in general was just not the same. I purchased DS a coat from Lands End this year. Seems durable, nice, and warm, and I hope I'll have a better experience than OP.

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 11:50 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Where can I purchase Appaman coats? Btw, if I'm not mistaken, don't these sell for about $100? If that's accurate, it's pretty competitive to other brands, especially since Gap's discount codes don't seem to work on outerwear. Also, lately I've been dissatisfied with Gap's coats quality. The hoods snap off easily, and the quality in general was just not the same. I purchased DS a coat from Lands End this year. Seems durable, nice, and warm, and I hope I'll have a better experience than OP.

Appaman coats are a little over $100.
In Brooklyn they are sold at Tiny Town, and Sweet Things.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 12:58 am
Costco has also. $30 for down coats. You can also buy the 3 in 1, which is two jackets layered one on top of the other so your child can wear it in cold weather and in freezing weather. The 3 in 1 is $34.

You should go one or two sizes up to last for longer.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:39 am
Yes, just under $100.
I haven't been successful with Gap styles the last few years either. The toddler styles looked more put together (up to size 5) than the kids styles.
I bought a Landsend coat on sale one year at the end of the season when dd's coat got ruined. I wasn't happy with it but I was able to tell straight out of the package that it wasn't up to par, so hopefully since yours looks good it will be good.
I bought the Appaman coats at Baby n Boutique on 16th the last two seasons. They sell out pretty fast. I think they have some sale pieces upstairs as well.
My friend buys in Flatbush at Sweet Things.
I think someone told me she saw some on sale at Posh last summer, so they must carry them too, but maybe I'm mixing up stores.
Btw, sometimes you can find some sizes from last year on sale online. Google.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:54 am
I bought my own coat from Lands End last year (I think) and it looked very thin but was in fact REALLY warm and cozy. Best coat I ever had, except I wasn't too keen on the style. So I'm not sure what was off about the kids coats OP had but maybe it was a one-off? I'm not uniformly thrilled with everything I've had from Lands End but in general my experience has been positive and I never worry about quality with regard to holding up because if it doesn't wear well they will take it back.

Gap has coupon codes that work on the coats maybe once or twice a year, but they may not be in time for the beginning of the current season.

What brand are the Costco coats? I hear Costco also has a good return policy so that sounds like a good bet. The only thing that won't really help with is warmth - if they don't turn out to be warm then you're stuck needing to buy a new coat regardless of whether you can return the old one.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 9:48 pm
Gap currently has 35% off and the promo code seems to work on outerwear!

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 9:56 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Gap currently has 35% off and the promo code seems to work on outerwear!

Thanks! I was waiting for such a coupon.

Now I'm trying to decided between
http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....92022
&
http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....63002

I like the second one much better, but from the site it sounds like the first one is warmer. Does anyone know if it really is? And if it is, is it a major difference? Any other advantages of one over the other?

OutATowner

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:22 pm
Yay! I also saw the coupon.
Can't seem to find "warmest down" for boys above 5T...just a down parka. Looks different too. Any ideas? Cute girls coats, going to get a shummer down. Now that I think about it, it didn't say warmest down for older girls either.

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:39 pm
I have had boys gap coats for a while and I love them and rthey are super warm. Ds loves them

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! I was waiting for such a coupon.

Now I'm trying to decided between
http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....92022
&
http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....63002

I like the second one much better, but from the site it sounds like the first one is warmer. Does anyone know if it really is? And if it is, is it a major difference? Any other advantages of one over the other?

They're both nice, but I would opt for the first one. 1. I like the style better
2. It's down, hence warmer (I believe)
3. It's on sale, plus the code- a real bargain
4. Most of all, the hood is not detachable. I find that the hood snaps off way too easily and then gets lost.
I think you will be much happier with the first one.

YHM

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:45 pm
Appaman coats are on sale in Saks.com. http://m.saks.com/eSearch.jsp?.....=TRUE

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 2:01 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
They're both nice, but I would opt for the first one. 1. I like the style better
2. It's down, hence warmer (I believe)
3. It's on sale, plus the code- a real bargain
4. Most of all, the hood is not detachable. I find that the hood snaps off way too easily and then gets lost.
I think you will be much happier with the first one.

Thanks - I decided to take your advice and go for the first one - this is my first kid so I'm not so experienced with these things.

Last week the coat cost $108. Now with the sale and coupon it was 49.14! so happy I waited to buy.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 4:50 pm
I would like to use the coupon before it's over. This one doesn't say warmest down, what do you think? And what size is a 7/8- S or M?
http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....90022
thanks!

cnc

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 4:52 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I would like to use the coupon before it's over. This one doesn't say warmest down, what do you think? And what size is a 7/8- S or M?
http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....90022
thanks!

Small is a 6/7. My daughter currently wear a sz 7 or 8 and fits into a Gap small.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 5:35 pm
Thanks!!
Just ordered 3 coats- 2 down coats and a fall peacoat for under 200!
Good Shabbos!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics