Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Mini Shepherd Pies - how to freeze

Hydrangea

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 3:58 am
I followed this link in a different thread for things to make ahead and freeze

http://overtimecook.com/2013/0.....ides/

The mini shepherd's pies sounded nice

http://overtimecook.com/2011/1.....pies/

I am confused though how to freeze. The overtime cook writes: "freeze without the mashed potatoes and add day of serving". But the mashed potatoes are supposed to be baked also and if I am serving on yom tov when do I do this? Anyone know how to prepare in advance?

Thanks.

myself

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 5:56 am
Haven't checked the links but I've personally frozen shepherd's pie successfully. Mashed potatoes, especially with fried onions, freezes okay. Just wrap well and reward very thoroughly.

heidi

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 6:13 am
I just defrosted the shepherd's pie I froze after RH for Shabbos and it wasn't good at all.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 6:20 am
It looks like she is suggesting to make the meat mixture, fill the mini shells and freeze at that point. Erev yom tov or on yom tov (can you mash on yt?) make a pot of mashed potatoes and pipe on before reheating. If you don't have your oven on and are just using a plata they won't be baked though.

I've had reheated from frozen shepherds pie and it was fine. But I can imagine it would be better from fresh.

cbg

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 10:01 am
I looked at the pic and there's no way you can make the mash potatoes before hand.
Also the mash potato would probably taste watery.

If you haven't made it yet, perhaps make it like yapchik.
In otherwards use potato kugel batter instead of mash potatoes, and use the same ground meat mixture.
Potato kugel freezes great.
You can still use the mini pie shells.

I've done mini yapchik S cauliflower instead of potatoes, and seared flanken meat.
Baked completely
Put in the oven on YT, frozen. I did this for Pesach.

Hydrangea

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 4:47 pm
Thanks for the answers. I guess I will do the meat mixture first and put it in the pie shells and freeze. And then on Erev Yom Tov I can do the potatoes and put in the oven and bake partially. And then on Yom Tov finish baking it when warming it up. Does that sound reasonable?

sneakermom

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 4:51 pm
Yes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus