Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! My baby cant sleep without his pacifier

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 2:19 am
I have a 4 month old baby and he was sleeping just fine. He was doing about 6 hour stretches. But lately he wakes up every time his pacifier fall out, and he wont go back to sleep till I put it in. This happens EVER SINGLE HOUR!!! I tried taking it away when I put him to sleep, but he just wont fall asleep without it. I tried patting him, and giving him his own fingers to suck but it just doesn't help. Anyone have any advice? Will I just have to let him cry it out?

tf

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 2:28 am
During the day, teach him how to take the pacifier himself. When he goes to sleep show him how to do it in bed by himself. Have the pacifier clipped on close by so he knows where to look for it.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 11:44 am
Thanks for the reply, but I think he is too young to put it in by himself. I don't think he has the hand coordination to find it and put it into his mouth yet.

Anyone else have any ideas?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 12:26 pm
4 months is the perfect age to think about weaning him from the paci. It only gets harder as they get older

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 12:38 pm
Thanks, so any tips for how I can wean him? last night I didn't give it to him, and he didn't stop crying.

tf

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 12:52 pm
Have you tried teaching him, or is it your assumption? Children are able to do things looong before they actually try. Therapists do this all the time.

Queen6

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 6:42 pm
GIVE IT TO HIM. Don't let him cry. He is SO young. He will eventually learn. This won't last too long. Give it to him. It takes one second - he will fall into a better pattern.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:23 pm
I don't remember the exact age, but my baby started putting it into his month very young. I remember not believing it when he first did it, since I couldn't imagine that it was possible for him to do it on his own yet. This was with a pacifier clip - without it would fall to the side of him and ect... and he wasn't able to find it and put it back in by himself till he was older.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
I don't remember the exact age, but my baby started putting it into his month very young. I remember not believing it when he first did it, since I couldn't imagine that it was possible for him to do it on his own yet. This was with a pacifier clip - without it would fall to the side of him and ect... and he wasn't able to find it and put it back in by himself till he was older.

Same. Clipping the paci is great because it keeps it in place near their mouth. I do have friends who wean from the paci at 4 months, but I like keeping it, especially through teething.

tf

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 8:25 pm
What's the point of weaning a pacifier at 4 months? This is so I can't get. I think it's rude, rishes, and for no legitimate reason. When they are ready, they throw it out alone. Until then, it helps them sleep, be calm, and teeth easier.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 8:31 pm
tf wrote:
What's the point of weaning a pacifier at 4 months? This is so I can't get. I think it's rude, rishes, and for no legitimate reason. When they are ready, they throw it out alone. Until then, it helps them sleep, be calm, and teeth easier.

Then you must think it was incredibly rude of me to not have ever offered my baby one in the first place

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 8:34 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Then you must think it was incredibly rude of me to not have ever offered my baby one in the first place

no there is a difference. for those that take it away from such a young infant why did you start off with it to begin with? there is nothing wrong with never giving one but I think its nasty to take it away at this point

tf

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 9:21 pm
pesek zman wrote:

No, pesek zman. A baby who needs it, will need it. It's not a want, but a need. Some don't need it. Out of my about a dozen kids, about 4-5 needed it. The others spit it out, and to some I didn't even need to offer it because they were happy babies.
Please don't misinterpret information. Ty

salt

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 1:19 am
Give it back to him. Just pop it back in his mouth when it falls out.
4 months is way to young for him to find it and put it back himself. They're only just learning to hold things at that age, in the daylight when they're awake. Not in the night when they're half asleep.
Why wean him at such a young age? Babies need that sucking, it calms them down and helps them sleep.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 10:39 am
tf wrote:

And then you have the 4 and 5 year olds who have one constantly in their mouths. Ew, gross! And according to your logic it's rishes to wean them/take it away from them as they aren't ready.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics