Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BYA vs. BY 18th Avenue vs Bnos Yisroel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:27 am
I send to BYA. The parent and student body is very nice and fine and frum. Not all VERY yeshivish, but certainly no modern. A mix of working and learning/rebbi. I know that the brothers are in all yeshivas; Chaim Berlin, Torah Vodaas, Cheder etc I don't find the academics to be too challenging, nor that there is too much work, but I guess that's all relative. My daughter has never mentioned brand names or needing to have the 'latest and greatest' anything. I haven't noticed the girls being into that.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:03 am
Thanks for all of the valuable feedback - please keep it coming!

I'm still waiting to clarify, who is moving to Lakewood - Rebbetzin Blau from BYA or Rebbetzin Ziemba from 18th Avenue? And when are they moving, and who's taking over?

devorah1231

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:34 am
Rebitzen Ziemba is helping or is also principal ina lkwd elementary her daughter runs. She may be moving.

devorah1231

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:35 am
I think I heard her daughterinlaw or niece will be taking over

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:46 am
Wow, I knew that Rebbetzin Ziemba's daughter opened a school in Lakewood, and I could imagine that she would be involved in advising her, etc. But she's moving to Lakewood and giving over BY of 18th Avenue to her niece or DIL? Do you know when this is happening? And how will it affect the school?

devorah1231

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:59 am
I don't know the details, no one in my family is there anymore.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:43 am
Reviving an old thread. I still have some time but those 3 schools are my options and I too send my boys to the cheder. I would say I am in the middle ground in the Cheder not from the more yeshivish of the school and not from the more modern ones of the school. And I like it that way and would want the same for girls school. I went to BYA but my only hesitation to send there is the issue of brand names. I dont spend alot on my kids clothes bec I feel its such a waste, same for myself. I like them to look good but I feel like you can look good without brand names and spending lots of $ and dont want this to be an issue. So OP where did u end up sending your daughter? Anyone else with comments/advice pls post. Thanks.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:31 am
I'm pretty sure I'm OP - it's been so long that I've forgotten, but I guess we'll see what color I get to confirm Smile. We applied to 18th Avenue and BYA. Even though we had a LOT of pull at 18th Avenue, there were only 2-3 spots for this year's kindergarten after siblings, and our pull wasn't quite enough.

We also had some pull at BYA, which was enough, and that's where we ended up. It's only been a few days, but so far, so good. People have told us that we'll be happiest with the academics and educational level there, and it's certainly the most mixed crowd of the 3 options. Hopefully brand names won't be an issue; so far in kindergarten, no issues. Smile Best of luck!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 10:39 am
My son is in Chaim Berlin. I am applying to Bnos Yisroel and BYA for my daughter. I might like the crowd in 18th Ave a little more than BYA but I have zero pull so Im not even bothering. I have a little pull in the two other schools. I am a little nervous about Im hearing there is a lot of "brand names" in BYA but I also know many lovely people that send there so wherever we end up I'll be fine.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 10:47 am
We are like u- yeshivish but emphasis on education... Although drav meir has a very wealthy crowd-we could not be happier there. I dont want to bore you w my raves but I would say the wealthy girls aren't what shine thru if that's your concern. They are given no special privileges or attention and although I must be paying half the tuition they do I get the sense WE are respected and appreciated. My daughter learns on a high level but it is not stressful. The teachers teach well so it's absorbed not forced... She has friends class not snobby-just not that atmosphere

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 2:15 pm
BYA and 18th are heimishe.
Maybe YOB or Bais Yakov of BP

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 2:38 pm
Cerulean - I've never heard anyone describe BYA as heimishe, and certainly not more than BY of BP, which is far, far more heimishe than BYA will ever be.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 3:55 pm
BYA parent here. We are a simple, middle class family, open-minded yeshivish. Most of my daughter's classmates come from similar backgrounds, although there is a range of a little more Flatbushy to some kollel/ rebbi families(but not that many). We are very happy with the parent body and the teachers. The principal is very nice and really gets to know every child.
Remember, No school is perfect, so wherever you end up, just daven that everything goes smoothly and don't stress the little annoyances!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 2:47 pm
Reviving an old thread. Moving to Brooklyn with elementary aged kids. Would love updated info on these schools.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 2:49 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Reviving an old thread. Moving to Brooklyn with elementary aged kids. Would love updated info on these schools.

Why don't you describe what type you are looking for so people can help you out better.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:34 pm
If you want a warm caring small school where everyone knows each other, has a good education, not fancy.....go to...
BY lower east side
best school ever....they have vans to flatbush and kensington

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:37 pm
I dont get it.

I keep on reading articles about how Brooklyn, besides the Chassidish population thats staying, is becoming less Ashkenazi and more Sephardi by the day.

So why are the Ashkenazi schools in Brooklyn busting?

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:05 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I dont get it.

I keep on reading articles about how Brooklyn, besides the Chassidish population thats staying, is becoming less Ashkenazi and more Sephardi by the day.

So why are the Ashkenazi schools in Brooklyn busting?

The schools are not busting at all. Where did you get that idea from? Most of them (such as BYA, YOB, BYBP, Prospect etc) are desperate for students. The only two schools that are very full are Bnos Yisroel and BY 18th Ave, because 1. They only have one class per grade, and 2. They cater to the Chaim Berlin crowd which still has a strong presence in Brooklyn (although its dwindling as well)

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:10 pm
BYBP. Look no further . Best school ever .

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:18 pm
We are bh very happy in BYA.
Very nice parent body.
Great education.
It's definitely not perfect, but no school is perfect...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics