Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Yomim Noraim seat price
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
What is so sad about davening at home? That's what I do every year, in order to make it through the fast. I don't have to worry if I need to sit down while davening or figure out what to wear and have all the distractions of shul and the crowd. Am I the only one?

It's not sad if its your choice, it's sad if you want to go to shul and feel that you can't.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 2:06 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Most shuls will work with you on price. Our shul doesn't turn people away for not being able to pay. The last few years I've chosen not to purchase a seat because it's expensive and I still have young kids. I go on for Yizkor and not much else.

Our shul is $130/member before a certain date and then the price goes up. The money they earn from selling seats pays for a huge chunk of operating costs. Membership dues in my shul cover approximately 1/3 of the operating budget and they need to fundraise the rest.

There are other options in my town for free or cheaper.

I've never even seen anyone ask to see tickets when entering the shul. Nevertheless, its always best to call, so that there are enough seats. (And if you do sit in someone's seat, please be sure to check to make sure no one is eyeing you to get up.)

From my POV, I encourage OP to give something, even if not the whole ticket price, if she attends. Shul's expenses are high, and IMNSHO its the responsibility of everyone in the community to support the shul if s/he can.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 2:26 pm
$400 a seat for all 3 days.
Or 1400 for a family membership (but 800 for a young family... No difference in membership benefits).
No one is turned away for lack of funds. They gave us reduced amount one year and let us do a payment plan another when we first got married since we couldn't come up with the full price. We just gave our maaser to shul throughout the year until we covered the amount. But they let people come for whatever amount they could afford. The shul knows us and we give what we can.
BH we could afford seats this year.

Oh and plenty come without a seat but please just call so you don't take someone else's. They need to know how many are available and sometimes someone bought but won't be going so they can say "sit in the seat marked...".
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur