Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Brooklyn therapist for child with anger issues

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:09 am
Our 8-year-old DS is very bright, but doesn't do well handling disappointment. When something doesn't go his way, he becomes consumed by anger, laying on the floor and wailing like a baby. At times he can also hit or even try to break things. This has been going for the past few months, and I think that he would benefit from professional intervention.

I may call Relief as well, but can anybody here recommend a therapist in Brooklyn to help him with these issues? If they take insurance, that would be even better, though not absolutely necessary.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 10:45 pm
BUMP Anyone have anger management child therapist in bklyn ??? going through same as above poster . ds is turning 8...

amother
Green

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
BUMP Anyone have anger management child therapist in bklyn ??? going through same as above poster . ds is turning 8...

Is it new or was he always this way?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 12:20 am
always kinda had a temper but lately gotten worse and hes starting to also get physical when hes angry like kicking doors and throwing things

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:33 pm
We had this too. Same age ds and it was really stressful. I think a psychologist might be a good idea but also try reading/ implementing strategies from Ross Greene''s book "The explosive Child" it was truly enlightening and really helped. Good luck!

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:35 pm
Have him tested for pandas too

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
Have him tested for pandas too
This. Strep and other infections are generally the cause of rage in children.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:24 pm
Interesting he actually just had strep and was treated with anti biotics few weeks ago you think it didn’t go away?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting he actually just had strep and was treated with anti biotics few weeks ago you think it didn’t go away?
If flaring of his anger issues correlates chronologically with strep infections, he very likely has pandas. Pandas is more than just strep not going away, it's when strep has become chronic and autoimmune. Seeing a doctor who is knowledgeable in pandas (most drs are NOT), and becoming knowledgeable yourself so you can advocate for treatment for your child will do more for your child than any amount of therapy by even the best therapist. Good luck!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:54 pm
I take my 6 year old child with anger issues to Tikvah . It’s part of ohel. Totally confidential and great therapists. It’s an hour session. It’s located on kings highway and Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn. You can google tikvah ohel see if it comes up.
Oh and they take insurance so it’s free.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:
I take my 6 year old child with anger issues to Tikvah . It’s part of ohel. Totally confidential and great therapists. It’s an hour session. It’s located on kings highway and Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn. You can google tikvah ohel see if it comes up.
Oh and they take insurance so it’s free.

How long have you been taking him and have you seen results

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:45 pm
(646) 416-2084
Faigy Russ
I went for other reasons but she specializes in anger

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 12:09 am
My ds did not like Russ. Did well with Tzvi Gersten.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 12:24 am
Try Chaim Neuhoff. He works a lot with kids that have anger issues.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 12:54 am
I have been going to tikvah for 5 months now. Progress is slow but I definitely see some change in him. They teach you how to deal with emotions and what to do when you feel angry. Like it’s ok to talk about your anger and say “I am feeling angry now I feel like breaking the house down”. Let him express how he feels and you can talk about it normally. Anger is a normal emotion that everyone feels but it’s just learning how to deal with it and what to do when your feeling angry. They gave my son activities to do when he gets angry to calm him down. It’s very helpful. They take insurance, it’s worth a shot. Tell them what the issue is so they pair you with the right therapist.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
My ds did not like Russ. Did well with Tzvi Gersten.

Do you have his number

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:43 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Try Chaim Neuhoff. He works a lot with kids that have anger issues.

What’s his number

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:46 pm
Definitely rule out PANDAS first, then work on therapy. The answer might be really simple.

Poor guy, I'll bet he's as miserable about it as you are.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:45 pm
So we cultured him sure enough he has strep again !who specializes in pandas ?! Appreciate all leads

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
So we cultured him sure enough he has strep again !who specializes in pandas ?! Appreciate all leads
If you're in NY, Dr Schulman is the go-to person, though she doesn't take insurance and charges OOP per visit. Dr. Wendy Vargas, neurologist in Columbia is supposed to be good too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics