Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Dont know how I will manage to fast

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 4:19 am
I am 6 weeks post partum, plus I have 2 other small children, 5 and 3. I have no help and no one to ask for help. I am afraid I will break the fast... has anyone ever broken yom kippur?? embarrassed

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 4:33 am
Call your rav immediately.

It is more important to fast on Y"K then to daven. If necessary your husband should stay home from shul to help you with the children.

Are you nursing? Your rav may tell you to drink shiurim so you can feed your baby without getting too dehydrated. Find out exactly what you should do if you need to break your fast.

Rest as much as possible. Supervise your children from the couch. Get some new toys if possible or trade with a neighbor so everyone has new to them toys to keep them busy. Prepare food in advance for meals and snacks so it's easy to deal with on the fast itself.

Shuly

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:30 am
What does your husband say?

miami85

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:37 am
I think there is a special "koach hayom". That no matter how difficult we think it will be somehow we manage. I was once more like 8 weeks postpartum by yom Kippur Drink a lot today, prepare to give bottles tomorrow afternoon. Get lots of nosh, prepare special things for tomorrow. Hang in there,

cbg

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:48 am
Before the fast make sure to DRINK a lot.
I drink coconut water since its hydrating.

Have lots of sandwiches ready, today, for the kids, whatever they like. 4-5 per child.

It's not a time to worry about nutrition.
Your 5 yr old is old enough to give it out to her/his sibling.

If you really think you need to give them something hot, make a quick soupy cholent in the crock pot.
I take 1 of those cellophane packages of soup mix (the one where you see the beans all layered) add chicken pieces, or stew meat, EVEN if it's frozen, and the water. That's it. Make it in a cholent bag for easy clean up.

Put the kids to bed for the night early, if possible 6 pm, the end of the fast is usually the hardest.

Use only disposable plates

Don't worry about the mess, you'll take care of it Erev Shabbat.

TODAY, prepare everything you are going to serve for DH and yourself for after the fast, so literally you just take it out, and heat if necessary.

Some kids can handle going to shul. If they can have DH take them for 30 min. At a time, a few times, if it's close to home.
I would suggest for him to take them at 10:30 and again at 5:00, this way they come back they are ready for bed.

BRIBE YOUR KIDS.
I know it sounds horrible (I call it positive reenforcement)
I take twizzlers (it has very little sugar) and cut them up into tiny pieces, or chocolate chips.
Every. 1/2 hr. They played nicely they get 3 little pieces.
Have them in a little container next to you.
Also let them know that you'll take them to a special trip to the dollar store after. Or a special Chol Hamoed trip, if that's possible.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 12:14 pm
a couple of years ago I fasted less than 3 weeks postpartum, with a nursing newborn, a 2 year old, and a 3.5 year old.
was nervous before, but it really all worked out ok bh.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:17 pm
lie down as much as possible. Your husband some come every three hours to check on you and give you a relief if you need it. Can your 5 year old sit in shul for a few hours? Does your shul have babysitting? Do you have a neighbor with a preteen? Have food and snacks and treats for the kids ready so you don't have to prepare anything. One YK I had a very small baby and I put a mattress on the living room floor and literally read stories for hours and hours on end. I told the older kids that YK is story day and we are staying in PJs and reading stories on the mattress all day. Luckily my kids went for it!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:15 pm
OP here- baruch hashem the fast went smooth and fine! Miami85, you are right about the special 'koach hayom'. Its the only explanation! Thanks to each one of you here for your input and advice, I really appriciate the time you took to write here!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur