Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DS bedwetting...soiling HELP

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 2:06 pm
So here is the dilemma

It all started 1.5 years, I was becoming shleppy in pregnancy and my son 6.5 at the time started bedwetting. I chalked it up to the pregnancy and erev Pesach hecticness. After Pesach I had a talk with him and it stopped. I asked if anyone bothered him, made him feel uncomfortable... he said no, reminded him where always available, parents never judgemental...However soon after he started soiling mid day, because he "wasn't making it" to the bathroom on time.

Fast forward to the present, it's seems to be a pattern. From bedwetting to soiling. Not every day but 3 times a week or more. During anxious events in his life; start of camp, school or new baby it's worse. Then it could even disappear for 2 or 3 months.

Now-he is 8 soiled since the beginning of school, after a few respectful discussions, he switched. Now he is in the bedwetting stage.

What do I do?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 2:38 pm
Take him out of school for a few weeks and spend quality time with him. During this time, read through the Lets Stay Safe book. See a therapist for an evaluation. Ask him when he realizes he soiled--during, before, or after. This matters a lot in terms of how much control he has. Are there any behavioral, sensory, or social issues?

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 3:06 pm
Firstly, have you mentioned this to his pediatrician? It's unlikely, but you might want to rule out a larger physical problem.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
Take him out of school for a few weeks and spend quality time with him. During this time, read through the Lets Stay Safe book. See a therapist for an evaluation. Ask him when he realizes he soiled--during, before, or after. This matters a lot in terms of how much control he has. Are there any behavioral, sensory, or social issues?

Thanks for your response.

We do read the book regularly.

You are right on..when we spend quality time things are better.

Any recommendations who should evaluate. We live in BP.

Behavior-well behaved, 95 student, doesn't like to fight in school. With his siblings is a whole other story, but usually does not start.

Social-normal

Sensory-definitely some issues, we have been by OT until 2 years ago, when it became difficult to schedule. Working on something for this year. Hey maybe there is a correlation between stop of OT and this a half year later. Anyone with such an experience?

Remember he was "toileting" normal from 3 to 6.5, so maybe not sensory?

smilingaway

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:21 am
This sounds like it could be encopresis. Talk to your pediatrician. It happens when the child is very constipated and then there is leakage around the blockage. An abdominal X-ray can show if this is the case. If it is there is not much the child can do to control it, but your doctor can tell you how to proceed

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 10:03 pm
Bump.

We have ruled out molestation, encopresis, constipation.

Any other ideas, how to solve this.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 11:06 am
OP here, was in Asisa last night and saw this book in docs office

It’s No Accident

https://books.google.com/books.....utton

My doctor didn’t know about this.
Seems like my son is poop holding.

Hope it helps someone.

naomi2

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 7:24 pm
A poster mentioned an emotional componenet. Especially since there is a change when you have a talk with him. Maybe he could use more time with you or a few sessions with a therapist. Is he a perfectionist?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 7:45 pm
He is not a perfectionist.

If anything he’s a bit lazy. Like he’s playing toys, and he won’t go. So I’m not sure if he is lazy or completely aborsbed and not feeling the signs.

Or as this book explains, he’s poop holding. And after years of bad habit/ accumulation he doesn’t even get signals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children