Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bracha bucholz

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 11:03 pm
Anyone have any information or experience with Bracha bucholz. She's is a PT based in nj.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 11:17 pm
Never used her but I know her personally and she is really, really nice!

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 11:27 pm
I worked with a child a few years back that used her. they traveled twice a week from Brooklyn to see her. his parents swore by her. she is very tough on the kids and really forces them to work hard and he def came a long way under her care.
one thing that I have heard about her that I didn't like is that she makes promises to parents (to give them hope?). this, in my opinion, is unprofessional, and its something that one cant be sure can be followed through.
but she is a great therapist.
good luck

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 11:32 pm
I used her. She used to work with an of and we had to do twice a week ech plus homework. She is very intense and the kid has to work very hard using a cage and many of them cry though the sessions. She has not been able to help my child much, but others with kids that have a normal brain that had damage have seen good results with conditions such as such as cp, premies, spinal bifida...

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:45 am
Op here. So far the only recommendations I got were from people who's children were premies or had a birth trauma and are not mainstreamed. My child is a regular mainstreamed child who is a bit delayed physically. The pt now is not seeing much progress. Am I going to hurt my child more by doing this?

gande

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:31 pm
It's a win or miss situation. You have to discuss it with your child and make sure he or she is going to cooperate since it can be traumatizing. Did you hear about the Anat baniel or feldenkrais method? I had experience with them that they were able to refine movement and promote change in ways regular therapy cannot

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:44 pm
gande wrote:
It's a win or miss situation. You have to discuss it with your child and make sure he or she is going to cooperate since it can be traumatizing. Did you hear about the Anat baniel or feldenkrais method? I had experience with them that they were able to refine movement and promote change in ways regular therapy cannot

I will look into those do you have any references?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. So far the only recommendations I got were from people who's children were premies or had a birth trauma and are not mainstreamed. My child is a regular mainstreamed child who is a bit delayed physically. The pt now is not seeing much progress. Am I going to hurt my child more by doing this?

I am familiar with this method, and based on your child's description, I am wondering who recommended this therapy to you and why? What are the PT goals, and what is your child lagging in in terms of skills?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
I am familiar with this method, and based on your child's description, I am wondering who recommended this therapy to you and why? What are the PT goals, and what is your child lagging in in terms of skills?

The teacher recommended more intense therapy in all areas because she's struggling to keep up. But that is only in the English dept. Hebrew she is doing beautifully. I went to Faigy Abowitz for a Speach eval and she sent me to Bracha.
At age 6 she still not alternating on stairs, barely hopping and her speed is slow.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
The teacher recommended more intense therapy in all areas because she's struggling to keep up. But that is only in the English dept. Hebrew she is doing beautifully. I went to Faigy Abowitz for a Speach eval and she sent me to Bracha.
At age 6 she still not alternating on stairs, barely hopping and her speed is slow.

This therapy (cage) is not appropriate for your daughter at all. It is aggressive and can be quite traumatizing, and completely inappropriate for a child like your daughter. The most appropriate use for this therapy is for neurologically impaired individuals: stroke, cerebral palsy, severe developmental delay, etc. Usually children who do this therapy have done very intensive physical therapy most of their life and are used to be touched and handled and physically pushed, and it is not as traumatic for them. I am surprised that the speech therapist recommended this, it is quite off base.
A good OT evaluation is probably more beneficial for your daughter at this point. She may have a sensory processing disorder that affects motor planning and other issues causing these milder developmental delays.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:13 pm
where are you located?

gande

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:23 pm
Faigy Abowitz sends everyone to bracha regardless of the issues. I think that she might not be the right therapist. You can look up anat baniel method website. She has a book kids beyond limits that explains. I saw results with my neurologicaly impaired child for whom traditional therapy does not work. Pm me for more info.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
where are you located?

Brooklyn

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:31 pm
A friend of mine used her for a typically developing child with minor delays due to torticollis. My DS also has torticolllis and low tone and she highly recommended I travel from Brooklyn and take my baby. I do not have time for that per se and did not think it necessary at the present time to go. I guess we will see as time goes on...

lilac3

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 12:11 am
Hi. Bracha Bucholz here. Since I came across this forum, I would like to use the opportunity to clarify things. I am an intensive therapist, in respect to the work I do and from the carryover I expect. I believe completely in the neuroplastic (healing) ability of the brain, but it takes TONS of dedicated work. "Stronger after stroke" by Peter Levine really discusses the amount of effort and actual repetitions necessary to make those changes. And it's a ton. But doable by those very motivated. I push the children really hard because I believe in their future and I would rather they cry now than later. So when I tell parents that their kids can achieve great heights, it's not to give hope, it's to show the possibilities that exist. And sometimes we are talking about years of input to get those results. But I have seen many of my kids walk, run, and jump who were told they wouldn't. And if those kids did it, I know that others can too. Is it possible for everyone? No. But the only way to find out is to try.

In terms of trauma, I work my hardest to make the kids as happy as possible. They watch videos, get prizes, get verbal encouragement, and lots of kisses. Though the early sessions are the hardest, the kids want to come when the good times begin (achievement of skills). And nothing builds self-esteem like being able to move correctly (without abnormal tone) and independently for the first time!

For less involved, more mainstreamed children, I don't do "cage" therapy strongly. I usually give a homework program for 6-8 weeks at a time that is doable at home that covers the deficit areas, including sensory and vestibular deficits and specific strengthening protocols. I find that to be very effective and easiest/cheapest for the parents, since therapy can be done daily at home (with hired help if necessary) and can be gradually increased as the child improves.

Thanks for reading.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 1:17 am
Bracha, thanks for replying. Can you explain a little bit more about "cage work"? I've never heard of that before.

lilac3

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 12:02 pm
The universal exercise unit (cage) was created in the 1950s in Europe and is used there a lot. The Therasuit is a specialized suit that gives tremendous input and improved alignment. Isabella Kolniecy is a Polish therapist who created the Therasuit and popularized both in the US. The benefit of the cage, which is essentially a massage table surrounded by 3 walls and a ceiling of shelving racks, like uline, is that I can do all my therapy without tiring or stopping. I use the cage quite differently from how it was taught to me in Detroit, and it is a tremendous help, especially when getting the children into correct postures while holding difficult positions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics