Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What would you do if this happened at your house?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:36 am
I made poached pairs for dessert. A lot. Enough to serve for at least 2 yom tov meals and still have some left. First day, after the whole meal has been served and everyone has benched and schmoozed and our guests are in the house trying to collect their kids to head out a toddler passes the kitchen table where the large tray of pears is resting. He asks his mother for one (they're actually all halved, so technically half of one) and she takes a paper plate and gives him one to eat (which was fine. Wish she would have asked him to sit down with it instead of wander with it - but that's another story). The toddler chucks the plate to the floor and hold the pear half in his hands. He's circling the kitchen table, licks the fruit a few times while circling, but never takes a bite. Then he decides he doesn't want it and rather than throw it away, give it to his mom, or drop it to the floor, he tosses it back into the tray with the other pears. From where I am standing, I have no clue which one he licked and returned.
Curious what YOU would now do with this tray of poached pears that you went to great effort and expense to make.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:47 am
Ewwwww.

Saliva % in the whole lot batel bshishim?

No not saying that under my screen name.

Not sure what I'd do actually

yogabird

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:53 am
Examine to see which is out of place/has stuff stuck to it/has indentations from where he held or marks from where he licked. Hard to imagine there are really no identifying marks.

yogabird

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:58 am
Examine to see which is out of place/has stuff stuck to it/has indentations from where he held or marks from where he licked. Hard to imagine there are really no identifying marks.

ETA: when you say tray do you mean they're all in a pan or container with some kind of liquid or sauce? Cuz I was imagining them single layer on a tray.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 1:03 am
They were all laying in a roasting pan, with a bit of the poaching liquid. They originally were all arranged neatly in rows, but after serving they were kind of all over.... no way to determine which looked disturbed/ different.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 1:32 am
Whoever thinks food that falls off trays in restaurants doesnt get served, is wildly mistaken.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:19 am
If after making my best effort I was a still unable to discern the offending pair, I would just shrug my shoulders, pack the pairs back up, and serve them again at another meal.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 3:11 am
Convert them to roasted pears/pear crumble? A good blast in the oven should sterilise them nicely LOL

ROFL

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 5:56 am
Sorry I would not serve them again. I have that with someone who come to me for meals and stick their forks that they used into my salads ! I just chuck the salads after their gone ( and actually try to serve food on single plates when they come here )

MrsDash

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 6:07 am
I'd toss it. (Although, I don't touch buffet style food either.)

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 6:12 am
I don't know what I would do, but just wanted to send hugs. I also often make poached pears for YT, and that's a lot of work. I guess the pear cobbler suggestion is the safest, though there might be something to freezing the pears till the last days.

This doesn't help you right now, but in the future, you might want to only put out enough for the one meal. Toddler licking is only one of many things that can go wrong.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 6:32 am
amother wrote:

Saliva % in the whole lot batel bshishim?

Quoting myself here. Thought I had better clarify that that comment was kind of a joke AND to point out that batel bshishim does NOT work like that in basar v chalav. As in if the pears were actually meat and the saliva was milk, the milk (saliva) would make the whole piece of meat (pear half) treif, and you could only do batel bshishim if there were 61 pear halves (or equivalent volume) in the whole tray. At least as how I understand the halacha but

ME AIN'T NO RAV

cm

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 6:51 am
I am so sorry this happened. It's frustrating when your planning and hard work is undermined.

On a side note: Personally, I have no problem requiring in my own home that children eat while seated at a table, and wash before wandering away. Parents are informed (in a friendly way, of course) of our "house rules" as needed.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 7:20 am
Rinse the whole tray in water.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 7:46 am
So I did end up chucking them all in the garbage. I felt so bad doing it. Not just because of the expense and effort, but I hate wasting food. And I thought about rinsing, re-cooking, or some other remedy but I knew that psychologically I wasn't getting past that toddler licking and returning the pear. And I figured if it wasn't good enough for me to eat I shouldn't be serving it to my family or guests either.

P.S. to the poster who mentioned the salad eater with the fork.... I HATE that. I also see this sort of thing from time to time.... when I've provided a perfectly good serving fork or spoon and someone decides to just go ahead and use their own utensil to pick out whatever they want. Again, food in the trash. Such a waste, but I can't help it. I want clean food - not science experiments. And I know that if I saw what goes on in restaurants and even many people's home kitchens I would never eat outside my house again, but I somehow am able to block these thoughts so long as I don't see it. But once I see it, that's it for me.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 8:47 am
I would reboil and eat.

But anyway I think we are all a little healthier having a few germs in our system.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
Whoever thinks food that falls off trays in restaurants doesnt get served, is wildly mistaken.

This is way different than falling on the floor.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 9:11 am
eema of 3 wrote:
This is way different than falling on the floor.

Except that the state of cleanliness in many restaurant kitchens, tucked out of customers view, leaves much to be desired sometimes... I'd take a toddler's saliva over a grimy restaurant floor.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
Except that the state of cleanliness in many restaurant kitchens, tucked out of customers view, leaves much to be desired sometimes... I'd take a toddler's saliva over a grimy restaurant floor.

I'd take neither. I don't generally eat out.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 9:40 am
Wow I can't believe so many people would throw it out. I would heat it up and serve.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette