Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How would you answer this question:

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 8:29 pm
Someone in my family is struggling with yidishkeit. This person asked the following question: why is it perfecrly ok to leave a refrigerator, clocks, lights, and an air conditioner plugged in and use it on shabbos but we can't leave a radio or tv plugged in and left in the "on" position for shabbos?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 8:30 pm
Halachically, we can.

Seas

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 8:34 pm
Leaving something that makes sounds is assur because it appears like you're making it work on Shabbos. With machines that produce some minor noise but that isn't their main function the poskim explain that since everyone takes for granted it was left on from before Shabbos, it isn't a problem.

Disclaimer: I'm replying from memory of a number of years, and I might have some details mixed up or left out.

What I'm sure of, however, is that this question has been asked and answered many times. I'd someone really wants to know as opposed to just wanting to belittle, it's fairly simple to find the answer. Any competent rav should be able to explain.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 9:02 pm
My understanding is that it is permissible to keep on TV or radio * but people do not do this out of respect to the shabbat or chag. I suppose it could be said that in regular circumstances it is not in the spirit of the day.

* I am unaware of the Halachat regarding others-seeing-and-thinking-its-just-been-turned-on - but this issue is oftentimes overridden when there's a valid reason anyway

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 9:41 pm
Exactly--spirit of the day. Listening to news or watching TV is not in the spirit of the day, since we're supposed to be concentrating on the holiness of the day and staying away from secular concerns.. We use timers to run appliances that enhance Oneg Shabbat--the pleasure of Shabbat--by ensuring our physical comfort: hot or chilled food, warm or cool house, lights to see by, etc.

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 10:02 pm
Seas wrote:
Leaving something that makes sounds is assur because it appears like you're making it work on Shabbos. With machines that produce some minor noise but that isn't their main function the poskim explain that since everyone takes for granted it was left on from before Shabbos, it isn't a problem.

Disclaimer: I'm replying from memory of a number of years, and I might have some details mixed up or left out.

What I'm sure of, however, is that this question has been asked and answered many times. I'd someone really wants to know as opposed to just wanting to belittle, it's fairly simple to find the answer. Any competent rav should be able to explain.

Interesting.
I was always under the impression that leaving a radio or television is permissible halachically but we personally don't do it as it's not appropriate for Kedushas yom tov /Shabbos .

Teomima

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 10:46 pm
So on an interesting related note, here in Israel during times of war there is a "silent" radio station. The idea is you leave the radio on during Shabbat/chagim and it stays silent, unless there's an imminent threat (rocket in the vicinity), in which case the station plays a warning siren. Because (pikuach nefesh aside) halachically, yes, there's nothing wrong with leaving it on all day.

Seas

Post Tue, Oct 18 2016, 11:15 pm
cnc wrote:
Interesting.
I was always under the impression that leaving a radio or television is permissible halachically but we personally don't do it as it's not appropriate for Kedushas yom tov /Shabbos .

The default position is actually that leaving on noise-making machines during Shabbos is assur (Rema), though what are the exact definitions of machines that make noise and when can one be mattir is an complicated topic with extensive discussions by the poskim.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:47 am
My teenagers actually do have their music/radio on with earphones in their room...
It's def better not to as one can come to press buttons etc

cinnamon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 4:13 am
In Israel there is another issue with leaving on the TV or radio - It's likely the person working at the station is Jewish and you would be enjoying maase shabbos.

bluebaker

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 5:13 am
It's more to do with how the appliances albeit passively working are directly connected to the enjoyment of Shabbat - which is all about PASSIVITY and RECEIVING. In that passivity, there is allowance of certain leniencies, see also Shabbat elevators.

OTOH - TV's and radio's are transmitters that disrupt the harmony of Shabbat and and instead of peace they create noise, havoc and raash. Not only does this effect those in the close proximity but might also effect even others outside and thereby causing GEZEL of the Shabbat to even more.

That's just imho - this is a rabbi who explains it - http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/eng.....1.htm

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
Halachically, we can.

This.
And I know people who do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics