Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for Hosting Sleeping Guests

lfab

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:34 am
We are B"H having a fair amount of family over for 2nd days of Y"T. We don't have room to host everyone at our home. We have a neighbor who is going to be away and has very kindly agreed to have 4 people sleep over at their home. I would like to give them a little something to show my appreciation, but don't know what. Since they won't be home for Y"T I feel like it's silly to get them flowers, wine, chocolate, etc. Or should I give something like that but just wait and bring it to them for the shabbos following Y"T? Or is it better to give now before guests stay there and give something else? Thanks for the help ladies.

essie14

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:41 am
A bottle of wine is a lovely gift which can be used by them whenever they want.
Something for the home is also nice--pretty guest towels, a serving dish, pitcher, etc.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:47 am
Anything from home goods or TJ max. Any type of bowl or platter wrapped up nicely with a nice note.

lfab

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:06 am
essie14 wrote:
A bottle of wine is a lovely gift which can be used by them whenever they want.
Something for the home is also nice--pretty guest towels, a serving dish, pitcher, etc.

Maybe I'll just go with a nice bottle of wine. I just hesitate giving wine because not everyone is into wine. I know if someone gave us wine it would sit around for months (probably till purim time) as neither me or my husband are wine drinkers.
As far as something nice for the home goes, that would be ideal. Problem is this is all very last minute. Originally we were going to only have a couple of people and they were sleeping by us. Then, some of our guests only asked if they can come 2 days before Y"T. There's no way I can get to a Marshall's or T.J. Maxx before Sunday. If, I go to any of the local frum stores I know I'm going to way overpay.
Would it be nicer to maybe get a nice jewish book or children's CD for their kids instead?

cm

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:15 am
lfab wrote:
Would it be nicer to maybe get a nice jewish book or children's CD for their kids instead?

These are excellent ideas.

A candy platter that will keep for a few days for the hosts to enjoy next Shabbat would also be nice.

Agreed about not wanting to give wine. In addition, I personally prefer not to receive housewares as gifts.

losingweight

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:15 am
I don't know where you live, but I got someone a chrain holder. The one you put the whole container into when you bring it to the table. Looks gorgeous and was very appreciated. It's not expensive.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:43 am
You can get them a pretty porcelain room diffuser . I find it to be the perfect gift for people that your unsure what the like

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:48 am
amazon gift card is best, imo.

Miri7

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
You can get them a pretty porcelain room diffuser . I find it to be the perfect gift for people that your unsure what the like

If someone gave me this I would take it as a not too subtle hint that my house smells.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 1:51 pm
Miri7 wrote:
If someone gave me this I would take it as a not too subtle hint that my house smells.

Seriously? It's not a bottle of lysol air refresher or oder eliminator. Its a beautiful decorative item with oils in it. Check it out on amazon and you'll see. Most come in a beautiful gift box. If you get an expensive perfume would you take it as an insult that you smell?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:

If I got this it would go straight into the garbage. I hate anything smelly.

You can also easily go wrong with anything that needs to be displayed - like art, or dishes - unless it's someone you know very well.

You can never go wrong with a gift card, or games/toys/books for the kids (if they have kids, of course), in my expeirence.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 4:01 pm
Serving dishes are always a good gift. They don't spoil, so they don't need to be used right away. I have a great Pesach collection thanks to houseguests. The stuff that's really not my taste gets donated to a local gemach.

Miri7

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
Seriously? It's not a bottle of lysol air refresher or oder eliminator. Its a beautiful decorative item with oils in it. Check it out on amazon and you'll see. Most come in a beautiful gift box. If you get an expensive perfume would you take it as an insult that you smell?

They aren't common in my community so the gift would stand out and I would probably read too much into it. I would think "why would I need such a thing? Did the guests think my house smells? Is there some odor I need to mask?" But that's just me Smile. And I do know that there are people out there who use and enjoy them.

Wine, tray of shabbos treats, a platter or something is more standard in my community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics