Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are you prepared? S/O of Calling Police

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 12:02 pm
I am deeply disturbed by how many people are not ready to rush out of the house at a moment's notice.

What if your house was on fire, or a family member was seriously hurt? Every second counts.

You need to have clothing that you can throw on right away, right next to your bed. You need to have emergency plans for fire and earthquake (depending on where you live), and rehearse them with every member of your family, even the toddlers. DD knew our fire escape plans when she was 2 years old!

By calmly discussing plans, and often, you can have everyone know what to do when CVS a situation comes up. Everyone should know all the evacuation routes, a place to meet up, and have all questions answered by their rav BEFORE you need them. If you have multiple children, this is even more crucial, because you might have trouble getting them all together, especially if one or two of them freezes up or freaks out, scaring the others.

Everyone over the age of 12 needs to be certified in first aid and CPR. You need to have a first aid kit where everyone can get to it. Have an escape suitcase of emergency supplies, extra medications if needed, water bottles, and a change of clothes. Diapers and formula if needed, etc. The recommendation is a minimum of 3 days supply for each family member.

There are dozens of government websites that will help guide you in emergency preparedness, all you have to do is Google, and do a little planning. A few minutes could save many lives, possibly yours.

Please, I'm BEGGING you, do your research! Every one of you is precious.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 5:14 pm
if my house was on fire I would leave in my nightshirt.

I agree that people should review the halachos of pikuach nefesh on shabbos and yom tov. There is a great english sefer called the halachos of pregnancy and childbirth which has a lot of stuff. Not sure if there is anything similar for other situations.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 6:40 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am deeply disturbed by how many people are not ready to rush out of the house at a moment's notice.

What if your house was on fire, or a family member was seriously hurt? Every second counts.

You need to have clothing that you can throw on right away, right next to your bed. You need to have emergency plans for fire and earthquake (depending on where you live), and rehearse them with every member of your family, even the toddlers. DD knew our fire escape plans when she was 2 years old!

By calmly discussing plans, and often, you can have everyone know what to do when CVS a situation comes up. Everyone should know all the evacuation routes, a place to meet up, and have all questions answered by their rav BEFORE you need them. If you have multiple children, this is even more crucial, because you might have trouble getting them all together, especially if one or two of them freezes up or freaks out, scaring the others.

Everyone over the age of 12 needs to be certified in first aid and CPR. You need to have a first aid kit where everyone can get to it. Have an escape suitcase of emergency supplies, extra medications if needed, water bottles, and a change of clothes. Diapers and formula if needed, etc. The recommendation is a minimum of 3 days supply for each family member.

There are dozens of government websites that will help guide you in emergency preparedness, all you have to do is Google, and do a little planning. A few minutes could save many lives, possibly yours.

Please, I'm BEGGING you, do your research! Every one of you is precious.

I cannot like this post enough so I will quote it. Thanks FF.

I will add that it's important that you have fire and emergency drills with your children. Call your fire department, they have out reach programs where a fire professional will look at your home and family and advise you on safe routes out of your home. And don't forget second story ladders.

animeme

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 6:50 pm
We have a rolled up ladder on the second floor that we can climb down through a window (instant fire escape). I keep my baby carrier in the closet with the ladder, so if needed, I can put the carrier on and wear the baby while I climb. And we have a crossing-the-street meeting place and a non-crossing-the-street meeting place.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:32 pm
Don't worry about keeping clothes near your bed; if there's a fire just leave in your pajamas or whatever. Fire spreads. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower, but just assume that yours is the fastest kind there can be and LEAVE.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics