Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Chol Hamoed & Laundry

Liebs

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 12:07 pm
Can't get through to my Rav. I forgot halachah.
I have certain items I must wash (kid's clothing because stains won't come out if sits, boy's shirts and pants I'm out of for YT).
Am I allowed to add stuff that I don't need to the load if anyways doing the load?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 12:09 pm
Some say yes and some say no.

Sorry, I know that's not helpful.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 12:17 pm
The general opinion is that while you may wash children's clothing, you may not add other items to the loads. But, please AYLOR.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 4:18 pm
Sorry for hijacking...

I was wondering if after washing kids stuff, can I iron whatever needs to be ironed? Washing doesn't seem like much of a chore, but ironing does.

I know, I know. AYLOR but....

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 4:36 pm
I'm no rabbi but my reasoning is like this: The reason for not washing laundry on chol hamoed is to avoid work (unlike the 9 days when it's to not have clean clothes). In bygone eras, adding something extra to the wash involved extra work. Nowadays, assuming you will be using an automatic washing machine and dryer, there is no extra work involved and your yomtov will likely be enhanced by having extra clean socks or whatever. Therefore, if I am doing a load of laundry for my children (which I'll need to; even with my kids having way too much clothing in the first place, who has enough to take you through this many shabbos/yomtov days and nights without any washing?!) I will toss in my socks and underwear and easy things like that, which happen to be in the same hamper anyway, and will not at all interfere with my yomtov or my children's-clothes wash.

Miri7

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 4:55 pm
Depends on who you ask. I can usually scrounge up a full-ish load of linens like hand and kitchen towels to go in with the kids stuff I need cleaned.
I don't add anything that's not needed for YT. That's how most people I know hold.

Liebs

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 8:49 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm no rabbi but my reasoning is like this: The reason for not washing laundry on chol hamoed is to avoid work (unlike the 9 days when it's to not have clean clothes). In bygone eras, adding something extra to the wash involved extra work. Nowadays, assuming you will be using an automatic washing machine and dryer, there is no extra work involved and your yomtov will likely be enhanced by having extra clean socks or whatever. Therefore, if I am doing a load of laundry for my children (which I'll need to; even with my kids having way too much clothing in the first place, who has enough to take you through this many shabbos/yomtov days and nights without any washing?!) I will toss in my socks and underwear and easy things like that, which happen to be in the same hamper anyway, and will not at all interfere with my yomtov or my children's-clothes wash.
Totally agree but what is halachic answer?! To me to have laundry in hampers overflowing hinders my simchas YT. It's no big deal to have to press a button! But halachos are around since before our washing machines!!

jj1236

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:00 pm
http://www.halachipedia.com/in.....undry

think

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 2:21 pm
seeker wrote:

With all due respects, you said it yourself: you are no Rabbi. Your underlying assumption is actually incorrect. The reason, according to all Orthodox psak that I have learned, that it is generally prohibited to do laundry on chol Hamoed is because the Rabbis didn't want us to leave laundry to do on Yom Tov (not "to avoid work"). It is a dishonor to the Yom Tov not to prepare in advance. I'm no rabbi either, so I don't have all the answers, but please be wary of posting misinformation. Chag Sameach!

Marion

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 4:01 pm
think wrote:
With all due respects, you said it yourself: you are no Rabbi. Your underlying assumption is actually incorrect. The reason, according to all Orthodox psak that I have learned, that it is generally prohibited to do laundry on chol Hamoed is because the Rabbis didn't want us to leave laundry to do on Yom Tov (not "to avoid work"). It is a dishonor to the Yom Tov not to prepare in advance. I'm no rabbi either, so I don't have all the answers, but please be wary of posting misinformation. Chag Sameach!

Maybe I'm not as lucky as others here, but I consider myself solidly middle class and my family does NOT have three days' worth of YT clothes (I have boys; their shirts do NOT stay white), nor do we have 5-6 days' worth of chol clothes (including what they wear erev chag + isru chag), nor do they 9 days' worth of tzitzis (yes, for some reason they insist on putting their tzitzis in every single day. We won't even discuss underwear... This has absolutely nothing to do with leaving the laundry to do on chol hamoed...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions