Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Which Baskin Robbins' are kosher?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 3:39 pm
I know the one on Nostrand and like Avenue I is kosher, but what about the ones on 18th avenue and like 71st and Bay Parkway and like 68th. Anyone know if they are kosher?

el2cg

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 4:49 pm
Baskin-Robbins, the world’s largest chain of ice cream specialty shops, serving over 150 million customers worldwide, now bear STAR-D kosher certification, according to STAR-K President Avrom Pollak. Star-D is the registered trademark of the National Council of Young Israel. All Star-D establishments and products are administered by STAR-K personnel and employ STAR-K standards; the only difference is that STAR-D products are cholov stam, not Cholov Yisroel.

taken from star-k website

theotherone

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 7:56 pm
you should check with Star-K because I found that confusing. I'm not clear if they mean every single Baskin Robbins in the US is kosher (which would be really challenging due to multiple locations etc) or just packaged goods.

eschaya

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 8:31 pm
As far as I know all BRs are kosher, however, I always ask to see their kosher certification papers. They should know what and where it is, and you'll feel more comfortable. Also, realize that a few flavors may not be OK (ie: rocky road) and this will be specified on the hashgacha papers.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 8:58 pm
Quote:
STAR-D Kosher Certification Welcomes Baskin Robbins
By Margie Pensak

Baskin-Robbins, the world’s largest chain of ice cream specialty shops, serving over 150 million customers worldwide, now bear STAR-D kosher certification, according to STAR-K President Avrom Pollak. Star-D is the registered trademark of the National Council of Young Israel. All Star-D establishments and products are administered by STAR-K personnel and employ STAR-K standards; the only difference is that STAR-D products are cholov stam, not Cholov Yisroel.

Founded in California in 1945, by brothers-in-law Burton Baskin and Irvine Robbins, Baskin-Robbins’ selection of 31 flavors--one for each day of the month--has grown to more than 1000! According to Baskin-Robbins, tubs and ice cream cakes now bear the STAR-D logo, and consumers will begin seeing this logo on the pre-packed quarts in the coming weeks.

Baskin-Robbins ice creams, ice cream cakes, ice cream Cake Bites, frozen dairy desserts, sherbets, sorbets, ices, and frozen yogurts will all be STAR-D certified. The company’s custom cakes, cones, and ice cream novelties will also be STAR-D certified when used in combination with a kosher ice cream and kosher toppings. Non-kosher exceptions are Rocky Road and Pink Bubblegum ice creams, and any other flavors containing miniature marshmallows.

Rabbi Jonah Gewirtz, STAR-K’s Global Management Consultant/Senior Advisor who played a significant role in Baskin-Robbins’ kosher certification, for the past 35 years, will continue to represent the company in its association with STAR-D. “I have worked so closely with STAR-K, for over 20 years,” commented Rabbi Gewirtz. “It is a privilege to have available to me the outstanding Rabbinic and lay staff of our organization to aid in the enhancement of kashrus and corporate standards of Dunkin' Brands, Inc.”

Sounds like all locations, and the same flavors/items that have always been kosher (chalav stam), but now with a nationally known hechsher.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:00 pm
thanks so much ladies!

I got a free scoop because it's my birthday LOL

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 26 2012, 1:13 am
Just FYI, for anyone who is interested...

In Canada the COR (Toronto) certifies BR flavours, but not branches. Pretty much every flavour that is NOT bubble gum, grape-something, or with marshmallows, bears a COR-D. The hechsher is clearly marked on every flavour tag in the showcase.

Obviously, it's regular milk (not CY).

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 9:43 pm
I just got a shake from there and now I am wondering ... If the store doesn't have a specific hechsher, is the shake ok?
I assumed since the hard ice cream is ok, a shake is ok but what about the machines?

Asking specifically about the Teaneck one if anyone knows!

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 12:02 am
No Baskin Robbins stores are kosher. Only the specific ice creams and cones listed are certified kosher when unopened. Once they are opened in the store, they are no longer under supervision.

There are some who hold that you should not eat from non-certified ice cream stores. From my research about Starbucks (which taught me a little about the halachos of washing kosher and non-kosher things together, the effects of hot vs. cold, and different materials used, etc.), it seems to me that ice cream stores should be OK if the item is kosher and the equipment is rinsed between uses.

I personally love the cappuccino blasts from Baskin Robbins. All ingredients that go in there are certified.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen