Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Ptchaw - do you eat or make it?
1  2  Next

SRB

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 8:50 pm
Ptchaw (not sure if I'm spelling it correct) was served at my hosts shabbos lunch today. It's jellied meat served cold I think. It was a new dish to me but I believe it is a traditional Ashkenazi dish. I'm curious if many people still eat or make it? And is it traditionally a shabbos dish?

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:09 pm
"Ptchaw - do you eat or make it?"

No and No.

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:11 pm
Yes, I eat it, and no, I dont make it. Old timers love it!

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 1:50 am
I've never been served it. I would actually like to taste it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 2:24 am
I found a yiddish lunch that was kosher and went and had it (among other goodies).

My grandparents buy it, and don't recommend patchkeing to do it.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 2:53 am
SRB wrote:
Ptchaw (not sure if I'm spelling it correct) was served at my hosts shabbos lunch today. It's jellied meat served cold I think. It was a new dish to me but I believe it is a traditional Ashkenazi dish. I'm curious if many people still eat or make it? And is it traditionally a shabbos dish?

It's jellied calve's feet.
I'm big on traditional foods but it's one dish that I've never been eager to taste.

ceebee

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 4:03 am
I've made ptcha using chicken feet. I put the chicken feet in a pot of water with chopped fresh garlic, carrots and spices, then scoop out the stock after several hours and place it in a container. It turns into jelly and that's how it's served. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but it is very healthy. I've also added it to other dishes like rice while it cooks to give it flavor.

treestump

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 4:14 am
I've never tasted it, and I don't intend on ever making it. I have been at some meals where it was served, and the sight of the quivering murky brown blob did not encourage me to try it. I do wonder how it tastes though.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:07 am
ceebee wrote:
I've made ptcha using chicken feet. I put the chicken feet in a pot of water with chopped fresh garlic, carrots and spices, then scoop out the stock after several hours and place it in a container. It turns into jelly and that's how it's served. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but it is very healthy. I've also added it to other dishes like rice while it cooks to give it flavor.

Really? I always thought it is a heart attack in a container!

ally

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:12 am
I'm a pretty adventurous foodie. I've eaten brains. But I can't bring myself to try pcha.

treestump

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:13 am
Btw, is there a difference between "p'tcha" and "gala"?

sourstix

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:20 am
Ptcha is when it's warm and served with little pieces of chicken left. Gala is when it's cold. Yes I grew up with it. In boro park -deliplus makes the meanest gala. He is known for his exceptional great food. Is a caterer and takeout. And I can be made with meat or chicken, personally I like the chicken better. And it can be made. Very low fat actually. In the chicken version. Where there is no fat ontop. The meat version is too fattening. And if made good with the right amount of spices it's a delicious thing to eat. We eat it near the eggs on shabbos. Almost no weeks go by and we don't buy it. It's expensive and a delicacy. At least for us.

treestump

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:31 am
Thanks, sourstix.

I'm curious - anyone here didn't grow up with ptcha, tried it as an adult, and liked it?

zohar

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 9:16 am
yidisheh mama wrote:

Probably because it reminds you of fat, it's not fat but gelatin. Very healthy, extremely low calories.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 9:20 am
My grandmothers made it back in the day. Never tasted it. No regrets. I'm sure it might be delicious and even healthy but I can't get past the fact that it looks like grey jello.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 9:28 am
Brain patties are traditional Italian dish for RH.
I've found a Judeo Spanish recipe for something like ptcha, interestingly.

ceebee

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 9:35 am
yidisheh mama wrote:

Nope they are a super food - very healthy for people. Its a bone broth which is rich in collagen, protein and calcium. Great for bone and joint health and the immune system.
It's not fried or filled with nitrates - food like deli meats and hot dogs. Now that stuff is a heart attack!

naomi2

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 1:16 pm
Yum yum! I love it as a special shobbos treat ( esp. From pomegranate in brooklyn) and I've made it a few times. Not difficult at all. I spell it p'tcha though

SRB

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 2:53 pm
OP here. Thank you for the replies. I didn't taste it as the texture is not appealing to me. I think it's the kind of thing you need to grow up on. But I'm so curious about it. I'm prego and nauseous anyway so no chance I'm trying now.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Oct 24 2016, 10:19 pm
My MIL makes it often for shabbat and chag. I never really knew what it was before I got married. It's food, not the most amazing thing I've ever had but certainly by no means the worst. Not something I would make for myself or order in a restaurant but if I am served I will eat it.
My DH grew up with it. He loves it, he and his siblings consider it a delicacy. DH has actually attempted at making it himself twice. Once was this chol hamoed - my MIL uses tendons and it's not bad, DH used actual calves feet, and it looked a lot less appetizing I was not tempted to taste any of it, I think only one of our kids asked to taste.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics