Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Please & Thank yous

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:14 pm
What age am I supposed to start teaching my kids to say Please & Thank you?

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:19 pm
As soon as they start communicating with you through "words".

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:20 pm
As soon as they start communicating with you through "words".

justforfun87

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:21 pm
My two year old is expected to say please and thank you.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:36 pm
My 22 month old has been taught (and uses both) though they are more 'peas' and 'thankoo'

behappy2

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:37 pm
Model it yourself. There is not an age. Also what is more important than that is the tone of voice and gratitude and appreciation.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:51 pm
I watched a mother refusing her son the food he asked for until he said please (around 2yo). It was a little heart breaking for me to see. I try not to judge other parents-to each their own- but that is not my style. I think if we model it consistently ourselves, our kids will pick it up themselves naturally during toddlerhood. At least that's how it's worked with my 3yo. I do sometimes remind her to ask nicely instead of yelling for more, but usually she is nice and polite, bH.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 12:14 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:
I watched a mother refusing her son the food he asked for until he said please (around 2yo). It was a little heart breaking for me to see. I try not to judge other parents-to each their own- but that is not my style. I think if we model it consistently ourselves, our kids will pick it up themselves naturally during toddlerhood. At least that's how it's worked with my 3yo. I do sometimes remind her to ask nicely instead of yelling for more, but usually she is nice and polite, bH.

I agree, that is terrible. Probably controlling in other ways as well.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 1:40 am
My 20 month old has figured out that a recipient says something after another person gives them an item. Only she picked up on the wrong words. So now when I hand her something she wants she tells me "Welcome!"

It's adorable and encouraging to realize that she's already trying to be polite. We have plenty of time to work on the details.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 1:44 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:

Not sure what you mean by refusing. I ask my 2.5 year old to say "please" when he wants a treat or something different than I am offering. Otherwise he will demand it and even though we model it at home, he didn't pick it up (but somehow picks up not so nice things his extended family said in his presence when we were with him!!'cousins saying it once left a bigger impression than 2.5 years!!)....
I do ask him to say it when he wants someone to do something for him.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 1:53 pm
I started when my son was a baby/toddler and was starting to talk. No age is too young to start modeling good and polite manners. He's now 8 years old and over the years I often get compliments on my son's manners and surprised looks from people when he says thank you or please (in unexpected situations). I am very strict about my son being polite and having good manners, both at home and esp when we are out somewhere. I definitely have days when he's moody or testing, but he knows I won't respond if he's rude or talks impolitely.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics