Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Wardrobe advice needed!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 5:07 pm
Okay, can anyone who's good with clothes help? I am NOT interested in clothes, and I don't know what's in fashion, and I hate spending money on clothes...but I lately decided I want to look a little younger and cuter. What should I buy?

I'm in my early 30s, yeshivish, fairly skinny but with a fat tummy. Right now my wardrobe is basically a long a-line black skirt and a long a-line navy blue skirt from Sears, with a few button-down shirts and knit polo-style shirts. I have plain black loafers and plain navy flats that look a little dated (a bargain at a thrift store). I also don't have much money to spend.

What should I buy to be cute yet comfortable and not too modern looking???

luckyme

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 6:08 pm
Invest in a light-weight structured jacket - this will help camoflauge a tummy & add curves in the right places if you are on the skinny side. you can use it to dress up an outfit or wear it with a jean skirt. Right now it is very "in" yet also timeless.
http://www.kaboodle.com/review.....acket
Under this you would wear plain l/s tee's in whatever colors you feel comfy in and they are a pretty inexpensive way to change your wardrobe around & look young & fresh.
I would definitely upgrade your shoes - that in and of itself will take away the years. Ballet flats are a great choice, very cute & comfy, and you can find them everywhere at a great price. These are from an expensive company, but I wanted to show the variety of styles as far as the actual shoe goes, not necessarily the colors, that you can find. I saw similar styles at rackroomshoes.com for $15
http://www.londonsole.com/ball.....s.php
You can also update your look with accessories -white & metallics are being shown alot and while fashionable now & will give you a younger look, they are also classic. Some of this stuff is a little too trendy (for me), but you can find some cute & taseteful items on the cheap if you really look!
http://www.claires.com/trends_.....name=
Good Luck!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 6:45 pm
are you a working girl, or . . .

lands end stuff is classic and comfy. I also like chadwicks of boston and willow ridge catalogue clothes.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:00 pm
I am working part time. It doesn't matter what I wear to work though.

I like Land's End stuff too.

I really appreciate the advice about the jacket, ballet flats, etc. Thank you for helping! I feel like that look might be too young for me though? What do you think? I don't want to look like I'm 20. I never know what looks right for my age. I wnat to look nice and classic, and whatever I buy I want to be able to wear for a while. Like not too trendy.

Help???????

MOM222

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:19 pm
Black and white separates are always in. Invest in a nice black skirt (pref. washable), which goes with anything.

ballet flates are totally ok for a 30 year old.

Best is if you ask a friend (that you admire her fashion sense) to shop with you.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:39 am
some say that black and white mkaes you look like "the help".

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 11:28 am
why not add a little more color to your wardrobe. Scarves, headbands, purse or shoes are an easy way to brighten up what you already have. What about a few pastelly button down blouses?

What about some patterned skirts - that's much more bright looking than a solid black or navy that you have. Try pink! Try lavender! Try mauve! You'll be adorable and so feminine. 8)

CAYA

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 3:33 pm
the saleslady can definitely help u out! y not ask where u shop?

mimivan

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 1:26 am
chocolate moose wrote:
some say that black and white mkaes you look like "the help".

LOL

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 1:44 am
buy light colored shoes. blCKS AND Navy shoes alwqys look scuffed, and easily look frumpi.
buy red shoes or white or light green or tan. looks great in summer

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 1:56 am
dont be scared to venture out to other boundaries that u are not used to.
If you are very plain, try to go out and buy yourself something that has a little life in it...
I am not saying to go and reinvent yourself, just make things exciting ...
its like a relationship!! Wink

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 4:47 pm
I bought something pretty! I took you guys' advice, and this is what I got: an aqua or light teal (not sure about color names) shirt made of linen/rayon with shell buttons, which I'm going to wear unbuttoned as a jacket over a black shell. I got a flowy soft skirt that's black with a swirly aqua/blue/green pattern, really nice that matches great. They're both from JCPenney, I really like their East5th brand, and right now they have a sale going where you buy one and get the second item of that brand for 88cents. It was very reasonable. I still have to get shoes--I am looking for cheap black patent leather ballet flats to complete the outfit. I look much better in this outfit than in my old faithful boring ones--so thanks for the advice, everyone. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics