Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
So So Frustrated!!!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 5:07 pm
So my baby used to be a good baby until now!!!! He is 5 months old and doesn't stop crying!! There are a few issues that I need help with.
A - Every time I put him down he starts screaming, I have to hold him the entire day!!
B - Sometimes he crys even when I hold him, I have to stand and walk around with him
C - Every time he eats, he eats for two minutes and starts screaming.
D - he wants to eat every hour, because he never finishes.
E - I cant get him to go to sleep at night, only if I take him into my bed which I don't want to do.
F - When he finally goes to sleep he doesn't stop waking up, and I cant calm him down, only by nursing. He doesn't want his paci. ( he used to do 6 hour stretches, and when he woke up I was able to put he paci in his mouth and he went back to sleep.

It looks like he is teething which might explain why he is so cranky. And he is on medicine for reflux, which explains the feeding issues.
As I am writing this post, I am holding him and he is shrieking his head off!!!!!

I need tips because I feel like I am going INSANE!!!!!

MomInTraining

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 5:12 pm
just a hug and hanggggg in there!!!!!!!

did you check for ear infection? some babies like to suck and nurse when their ears are hurting...even without fever

debbie321

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 5:15 pm
you sjould definitely call your pediatrician

gibberish

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 5:16 pm
My baby was like that when teething. Tylenol works wonders.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 5:38 pm
I took him to the doctor yesterday, She said everything looked fine, no ear infection.
I gave him Tylenol and he is is still screaming.

He fell asleep while nursing and now when I put him down he woke up and is screaming!!
This happens every time I put him down to sleep.

Any suggestions?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 6:27 pm
gibberish wrote:
My baby was like that when teething. Tylenol works wonders.

This

This is teething. Tylenol and Camila. Thank me later

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 6:28 pm
pesek zman wrote:
This

This is teething. Tylenol and Camila. Thank me later

What Is camila?

behappy2

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 6:31 pm
Did this happen overnight or slow progression? Did you consider upping the dose of medication?

anonymrs

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 7:10 pm
Sounds like a reflux flare-up. What medicine is he taking for reflux? Reflux in babies peeks between 4-6 months, according to 2 different pediatric GIs that we saw. If he's taking Zantac, you might want to consider switching to a PPI, like Prevacid.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 7:21 pm
This happened about 3 weeks ago and its getting worse and worse!!
He is taking prevacid but only for 1 week. The doctor said to give it time till it starts working.

bluebaker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:13 pm
You need to listen to your baby.
If your baby is screaming when you put him down - you need to figure out CALMLY and LOVINGLY why he is so unhappy.
He probably is protesting.
He needs more holding and calming - skin on skin.
Without frustration.
Because babies pick up this energy.

Calm down and talk lovingly to your baby - that you know and understand and will hold him more. Tummy rub can help as well.

All psychological problems stem exactly from this type of situation. You do not want this to happen at all.

When your baby is distressed - there is a very good reason - open heart, mind and ears to listen empathetically - he wants YOUR full attention and love. He is not a chore to be done and forgotten.

amother wrote:
So my baby used to be a good baby until now!!!! He is 5 months old and doesn't stop crying!! There are a few issues that I need help with.
A - Every time I put him down he starts screaming, I have to hold him the entire day!!
B - Sometimes he crys even when I hold him, I have to stand and walk around with him
C - Every time he eats, he eats for two minutes and starts screaming.
D - he wants to eat every hour, because he never finishes.
E - I cant get him to go to sleep at night, only if I take him into my bed which I don't want to do.
F - When he finally goes to sleep he doesn't stop waking up, and I cant calm him down, only by nursing. He doesn't want his paci. ( he used to do 6 hour stretches, and when he woke up I was able to put he paci in his mouth and he went back to sleep.

It looks like he is teething which might explain why he is so cranky. And he is on medicine for reflux, which explains the feeding issues.
As I am writing this post, I am holding him and he is shrieking his head off!!!!!

I need tips because I feel like I am going INSANE!!!!!

pause

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:23 pm
Teething
Should outgrow it by age 2 once the molars are in. Wink

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:31 pm
Blue Baker, I'm sorry but a little out of place. This is not a mother who is trying to be "done and forgotten." She is trying VERY HARD to listen to her baby's needs and respond to them- it she could figure out what they are. I would tear my hair out and cry if I was going through what op is going through, and then read Blue Baker Sad

Op, please don't over think Blue Baker's post. You are doing a GREAT job!! I don't have more advice to offer than what's already been said, but I'm offering hugs and a hope that baby settles very soon.

Also, don't forget self care. Make it number one priority now in challenging self care times so you can in turn give the best care to your baby.

esther11

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:35 pm
Do you know if your milk supply went down? Sounds to me like a hungry baby...
Maybe try offering him a bottle after I nurse him and see if it helps?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:38 pm
Hunger and teething.
He may have a growth spurt and needs more food. It happens every few weeks or so.

Oh the joys of motherhood....

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:56 pm
Thank you everyone for the support and answers!

To the poster that mentioned about the milk supply, I do feel like my supply went down. I think its due to dehydration. I was so busy these past few weeks, I didn't drink or eat normally. I actually think I have less milk since Yom Kippur, and I didn't build it back up.

esther11

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 12:04 am
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone for the support and answers!

To the poster that mentioned about the milk supply, I do feel like my supply went down. I think its due to dehydration. I was so busy these past few weeks, I didn't drink or eat normally. I actually think I have less milk since Yom Kippur, and I didn't build it back up.

Totally possible and would explain your baby's behaviors. You should definitely address the dehydration for both your and baby's sake! Very Happy

If you want to build your supply back up, definitely feed him whenever he is looking for it (the more your body is stimulated the more milk will be produced). If your not super concerned abt the supply and nursing exclusively, you can always supplement with formula after nursing.

Good luck and hope whatever is bothering the baby ends soon!!

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 5:12 am
From what it sounds like, there are 2 options - your baby's eating needs to be reformatted or your baby's sleeping needs to be reformatted. Or both.

In terms of eating, I strongly suggest starting solid foods. My daughter had reflux and was a VERY fussy nurser. We gave her zantac, which helped a little. But, what really helped was starting solid foods at 5 months, for a few reasons: (1) solid foods actually reduce reflux directly, (2) it will supplement what she's gettign from nursing and she will feel more full, (3) eating upright is much better for reflux than nursing (which is more horizontal). I know some people hesitate to give solids this young, especially to a fussy nurser, but it really helped. In terms of making sure she is still getting a good amount of breastmilk, try breastfeeding her when she is in a more vertical position to reduce reflux (we never managed this one), and try to pump milk (even once a day) and give it to her sitting up (in a high chair with a bit of a recline) and see if that helps.

In terms of sleeping, many babies need a sleep schedule around 4-6 months. Babies who could just fall asleep anywhere, anytime when younger lost that ability as they get older, and if she doesn't seem sleepy on her own, you may not realize that she actually needs more sleep than she's getting. This was a problem with my daughter around this age or so. We read the book 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child' by Dr. Weissbluth - it details how much sleep and what times of a day for all ages, broken down by months even. We made a schedule for her and put her down for a nap even if she wasn't tired (he suggests crying it out, which worked for us. If you don't want to, you could always use a gentler approach, but the book is still incredibly useful for the info and how much sleep and when and where etc). Within a short time, she was sleeping great, woke up less in between, and actually started eating better - she hadn't been eating well because she was so tired (even though it wasn't noticeable to us that she was tired) and she started sleeping longer stretches when she wasn't overtired either (overtired babies don't sleep as well).

Good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics