Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to keep skirts clean?!

wife2

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 5:54 pm
All my skirts are dry clean, and I need to dress nicely for my job.
I don't get how everyone always has clean clothes. I send my skirts to dry cleaners and they come back clean but with little kids they always get dirty or muddy or spotted. How do you constantly send to dry cleaning every week or 2? I have like 6 skirts and I need to send them all the time. I don't get how people with little kids are always stain-free and perfectly put together.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 5:58 pm
wife2 wrote:
All my skirts are dry clean, and I need to dress nicely for my job.
I don't get how everyone always has clean clothes. I send my skirts to dry cleaners and they come back clean but with little kids they always get dirty or muddy or spotted. How do you constantly send to dry cleaning every week or 2? I have like 6 skirts and I need to send them all the time. I don't get how people with little kids are always stain-free and perfectly put together.

I take off my dry clean skirt as soon as I get home and switch it out with an easily washable one. Even if I'm just running back outside again to wait for the kids bus.

flmommy

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 5:58 pm
I don't wear dry clean only skirts. There are nice professional skirts that are wash and wear. Thant would be my suggestion to slowly phase out the Drycleaner only ones.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 5:59 pm
Get washable skirts.
Change into something washable when you are home with your kids and don't need to be dressed nicely for work.

I have a friend who told me she puts on a dirty skirt before she takes her kids to the park :-)

yogabird

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 6:19 pm
I spot-clean my dry clean skirts with a damp rag.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 10:48 pm
M&S had some suiting skirts that are washable and come in longer length (27") when I bought stuff from there a month ago.

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 11:18 pm
flmommy wrote:
I don't wear dry clean only skirts. There are nice professional skirts that are wash and wear. Thant would be my suggestion to slowly phase out the Drycleaner only ones.

This. There are so many nice washable skirts in stores. And you'll save on dry cleaning, so you might even feel you can spend a little more on the skirts

lfab

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:25 am
Except for 1 or 2 shabbos outfits I no longer wear clothes that are dry clean only. Buy yourself a few nice skirts that can be washed. When they get dirty you just throw them in the washing machine.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:39 am
Are you sure you can't wash them at home.
Some clothes say dry clean, but I wash at home with no problem.
I would take an old skirt that you are almost ready to give out , that you wouldn't mind ruining, and try washing it.

I had a skirts that were polyester, the tag says dry clean, wash at home, no problem.

Miri7

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 1:53 pm
I also have to dress for work. as much as possible, I avoid wearing my good clothes around the kids. I change as soon as I get home. In the mornings I put my work clothes on after the kids have eaten and washed their hands - or I wear a nice silky old bathrobe over my outfit and take it off just before stepping out.

I have work clothes, home with kids clothes and Shabbat clothes. If I know I will need to leave work directly to do something with the kids, I usually pick and outfit that is machine washable, which many nice work skirts are nowadays.

musicmom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 2:02 pm
What the person above said. I change out of work and Shabbos clothes and rarely eat in them.

If things get dirty I generally do one bin of hand washing a couple evenings a week, which is pretty simple with woolite, and then I iron as needed.

I never put mine or the girls clothes or white shirts in the dryer as it sets stains, and I hang dry these items.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 10:04 pm
I change out of work clothes the minute I get home, so my kid doesn't get them dirty. I find that helps a lot.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 11:29 am
I use a steamer to freshen up my dry clean clothing in between dry cleanings. You would be surprised how much steaming can get out mild dirtiness. Sometimes I need to gently dab with some water and then steam out the dirt.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 12:30 pm
My mom obm was a wise woman. She always made me change out of my school clothes into old clothes the minute I came home from school, so now I still change out of my work clothes the minute I come home. On the few occasions when I've started doing stuff around the house "just for a minute" before changing, I've always regretted it. There are no grubby-palmed little kids in the house any more, but all it takes is a single splotch of something to ruin a garment. Oh, and I avoid dry-clean-only like the plague. If I wear something DCO I start removing it almost before I get in the house!

essie14

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 4:53 am
I never wear nice clothes when I am cooking or doing any household work. I have a few stretchy "house skirts" and old t shirts that are my house clothes. Nice clothes (washable) only get worn when I go out.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 11:18 am
One tip I heard one was to put an elastic waisted skirt on top as soon as you come home. Remove the nice one when you get a chance. That means you need to keep a slinky skirt by the door.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry