Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I want to organize my closets- WHERE DO I START?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 1:00 pm
My closets are a mess. Seriously. I'd love to a- build shelves by my steps going downstairs, b- have nearly organized closets.
Any suggestions where to start?
thanks!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 1:26 pm
I recently organized my closets and shelves, but I hired someone to help me - not a professional organizer, just someone who enjoys these things.
We started by emptying and sorting everything. The entire living room was covered in piles - we bagged everything to be given away, threw out lots of stuff and sorted everything else by type.
Once that was done, we found containers for each thing I was keeping. For example, every toy now has it's own container. I did have to make a list and run to the store to buy some more containers because I didn't have enough in my house.
Finally, we put everything back - and this was where she was the most helpful because I'm not great at spatially figuring out how to fit things nicely, but she fit everything in like a puzzle. It has made a huge difference in the neatness of my house now that everything has a place to go back into!

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 1:28 pm
The only way to start is to start with one closet. You do one at a time. Otherwise it gets to overwhelming.

Start by emptying everything out. Prepare a bag for trash and a container for things that belong elsewhere. You MUST throw things out. If you don't, it will become messy again in a week. Anything that belongs elsewhere, gets put in it's new home. Then start your next closet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics