Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to respond?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 8:21 am
We are a soon-to-be former kollel couple and just started sending our kids to a local yeshiva which is known to be sympathetic with kollel families.

Life has been rough for us while in kollel, and we were hit hard financially by a number of unfortunate events. We went through the financial aid process within the proper time-frame and were given a financial aid package.

A friend of mine and I were discussing the results of our financial aid applications, and despite their being significantly better off than we are in a number of areas, it came up that they got a significantly better deal that we did.

To add insult to injury, after this whole process, I got dealt another blow that we would have to pay a significant sum of $$$ for our health insurance (we tried other options, but Obamacare was worse for us) as my (new-job) salary+not being pregnant kicked us off of Medicaid.

When our "post-dated" checks were due--and we were not thrilled with our finacial situation/finanical aid pkg. I spoke to the financial manager at the school that we were hoping my husband would be working by September and he said "we'll renegotiate in September"

My husband and I are very embarrassed that we are so financially deficient, and my husband is in the process of looking for a job, but its taking longer than we'd like. Post-yom tov I brought up the conversation again with the finance manager via email explaining that we WANT to pay our share, but it is taking longer than expected to get on solid financial footing. (Kollel unexpectedly didn't pay much over the summer and we fell even FURTHER behind). And his only response was, "please tell me what you proposal to pay."

On the one hand, we want to pay our fair share, but we really need a break so we can get back on our feet. What do I propose?

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 8:27 am
Make a budget. See what the maximum you can reasonably afford to pay is.

When you get more income, then offer to pay more.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 8:31 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Make a budget. See what the maximum you can reasonably afford to pay is.

When you get more income, then offer to pay more.

Our budget is already quite RED with bare-minimum expenses. Not sure where/when to expect my husband to get a job or what salary range--it could be anywhere from part-time minimum wage or full-time with an entry-level salary. ANYTHING would be a start in the right direction.

We also have so many catch-up expenses so its hard to prioritize if this school is willing to wait and be patient, what is considered reasonable?

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 8:40 am
I would start with asking the school or see if its in writing somewhere if there is a minimum tuition everyone must pay.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:03 am
Can you or your husband do some work for the school until you can pay?

Is there a Jewish free loan society that can help you?

I hope your husband gets a great job and your financial situation reverses

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:20 am
mha3484 wrote:
I would start with asking the school or see if its in writing somewhere if there is a minimum tuition everyone must pay.

I agree with this. Write back that your budget is already in the red but you feel you have to pay something. Then ask what is the minimum the school will accept for families that really can't afford to pay anything at the moment. Hatslachah.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:25 am
My child's school has it clearly noted on the tuition schedule that they give out as well as having it posted on the website. I believe it is 1/4 of the full tuition. I am under the impression that unless the circumstance is dire, everyone must pay at least that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics